Rod Holder Question...

Discussion in 'Boat Modification Journal' started by Hawk33, Jul 25, 2007.

1. Hawk33

Hawk33 New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    I was wondering what angle rod holder's is the most popular?

I have three choice's to pick from 0-30-45 degree rod holder's.

I was leaning more torward's the 0 degree so my rod's lay straight out and when a fish take's the bait the fish feels no tention. just from the reel.

Hope that makes since looking forward to some feedback on this one !

HAWK

2. txthumper1691

txthumper1691 New Member

State:
    Temple, Tx.
    I guess bro it depends on you. I say try a couple of each an see what you have th most luck landing fish from. me, I make my own, from 4" PVC. gives me from 30 to 45 deg angle.

3. Hawk33

Hawk33 New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Appreciate the feedback probably going to go with the 30 degree or 0 degree can't decide?

Surely there's more member's with some feedback about this... "?"

HAWK

4. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    John, get some sleep, your last post was at 2:30 in the morning.:eek:oooh:

Pick the one in the middle, thats always a good compromise.:smile2:

Really it is just personal preference.

I don't like the flat ones and I don't like them sticking forty miles in the air either.

I chose the 25 degree Driftmasters for my boat.

If you get a fish close to the boat you can still thread your rod under other poles to work your way to the side gunwale to land it.

As for clickers, Tension doesn't seem to be an issue for me at 25 degrees and most good reels have a tension adjust. Especially with current when fishing a river I can still set mine so the slightest pull will set it off.

25 degrees is a nice pleasing angle (again....personal preference) to sit back a ways, get comfy and see all the rods you have fanned out.

It also gives a good angle for the rod to 'load up' when using circle hooks.

Disclaimer:

The above comments are only personal opinion and others here, some successful, some not, will have widely varying opinions on said subject matter.:wink:

You'll be fine no matter what you pick.

5. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I would go with the 30 degree, for catfishing.

6. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    I am going to totally agree with Daryl.If you use circle or Kahles and want the fish to hook themselves then I recommend 25-30 and no clicker.Why give the fish a free run???His point about being able to pass rods under the 25 is excellent and something to keep in mind.Of all the guides I have fished with I cant recall anyone fishing the flat way but of course they drift fish alot but even when flatlining most if not all prefer some degree of elevation as opposed to flat.:big_smile:

7. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Try out the combos. I believe mine are 5/30 deegree. Works great for all kinds of fishing.

8. Hawk33

Hawk33 New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Appreciate it fella's !

9. GoFish_Tony

GoFish_Tony New Member

State:
    Big Rock, IL
    I spent a lot of time planning out how I wanted my rod holders set up.

I do a lot of river fishing and wanted to be able to have up to 8 lines in the water and fan them out as best as possible. What worked best on my boat was to put (2) tall stemmed 45` rod holders at the 2 corners on the stern. Then forward of them I have to (2) tall stemmed 30` rod holders. And last, in front of those I have (4) reg. length 30` rod holders.

This setup is one that I came up with on my own and really dose a nice job of separating lines. Plus, it sure looks purty with all those rod holders filled with poles. I've yet to fish with all my rod holders filled, but I could.
    What I like best about it is that I have the ability to move poles around given just about any situation.

Tony
    _

10. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    One quick question, why not get an adjustable style rodholder? I use the Attwoods from Walmart and have never had a complaint. There are also some metal adjustables on the market, if you are just not into the plastic thing. I will say that the attwoods are extremely durable, I have never had one fail. My brother did break one off,.....He ran it into a dock. Vern

11. Hawk33

Hawk33 New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    MY BOAT HAS A ROUND RAIL GOING AROUND THE BOAT AND THE CLAMP ON STYLE ROD HOLDER'S DO NOT WORK WELL...

MY FRIEND HAS HIS SET UP WITH DRIFTMASTER'S WITH A MODIFIED BASE;BASICALLY A PIPE CUT IN HALF WITH A NUT WELDED TO THE PIPE.
    DRILL A HOLE THROUGH THE HALF PIPE BASE AND BOLT IT !!!

WORK'S GOOD AND YOUR ABLE TO MOVE YOUR ROD HOLDER'S IN DIFFERENT LOCATION'S.

I USE KAHLES WITH THE CLICKER... LET HIM RUN AND CROSS HIS EYE'S
    I DON'T DO ANY TIGHT LINING 99 % OF THE TIME.

FOUND A GUY FROM GA. THAT MAKE'S DRIFTMASTER KNOCK OFF'S AND YOU CAN SAVE A FEW $ !!

HAWK
    :big_smile:

12. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    John,
    Seriously, just fork out the dough and get Yourself some genuine Driftmaster Pro Duo's (the 1/2" models) Driftmasters are bullet proof. You will not be sorry.

How much does that rod and reel You'll be placing in it cost????

if one of those knock offs break and you lose a rod...will you save any money?

some things are just worth the price, Driftmasters are one.

13. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    Brad has broken one Driftmaster off, he ran it into a dock!:smile2::smile2:

And I suppose he'll tell you I about ripped one off of his boat, by almost falling out of the boat! They make good grab handles to help stay in the boat.

14. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    I originally posted this back in 2003, before I was even a member-no wait, it was today!

15. catfisherokie

catfisherokie New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    I have the Bee Ready rod holders on my boat. Works well for me.