Rod holder problem

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by liveforcattin08, Jul 31, 2006.

1. liveforcattin08

liveforcattin08 New Member

State:
    ohio
    i have a canoe i use for catfishin but i want to put some rod holders on it for when using circles. is there any way to make rod holders that are removable and you dont have to drill holes? any tips would be appreciated!

2. savage308

savage308 New Member

State:
    Victoria, Texas
    If your canoe is alum. Take 2 small cheap C-clamps and weld a small 4"x6" plate to the back of the clamps. You can then either weld ya some pipe or drill ya some holes to put pvc pipe and a ubolt through. Then ya can Clamp em to your boat. I'm not sure if they sell anything already made up like this but i'd check at your local fishing supply store. Hope this helps.

3. liveforcattin08

State:
    ohio
    i didnt think of clamps but ill prob do something like that i guess

4. kickin_wing

kickin_wing New Member

State:
    Illinois
    If it has places were you can put ores in it, i usualy just take my bank fishing rod holder and stick it in one of those holders.

5. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    You can get the clamp on type at Wally World...

6. fishhook

fishhook New Member

State:
    Willow Woo
    Go to a local camper dealer, they have aluminum C clamps that is used to hold truck caps on. Take these and have holes drilled and tapped for those Driftmaster rod holders and then just clamp them on your canoe and screw in the rodholders.

7. liveforcattin08

State:
    ohio
    almost finished! im going today to buy clamps and then all i have to do i attach clamps to the 2x4 and finished! 3 rod holder are drilled into the 2x4. ill post some pics when im finished.

8. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    get some with the bases like driftmaster or there's a guy in GA that sells them on Ebay that are similar to them... The bases can be screwed on the gunnel (what i've done) and the rod holder portion is attached by the screw in portion on the bottom of the rod holder... Never had a problem with them ever as long as you set your drag light enough so that the fish won't pull the canoe over when it strikes (takes a good bit of strength on their part because you've got to deal with the rod bending too)

9. bigmic900

bigmic900 New Member

State:
    ILLINOIS
    put up some pics lets see how it looks

10. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

Walmart sells some that have a c-clamp already attached I think they are about 4 bucks each. Not high quaility but should work for you.

11. liveforcattin08

State:
    ohio
    im finished! it works amzing! its very solid, and very easy to take in and out. i took some pictures but i dont have a digital camera, so i might be awhile for i put them up

12. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    I hope a huge flattie doesnt tear off downstream with your canoe pointer at 90 degrees from it, with 30 lb test, I bet a 20 lb fish could pull down hard enough to flip the boat... Id like to see the pics though as I just took pics of my mounting brackets for my boat last night, Ill see if I can get them up on here myself.
    Salmonid

13. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    A couple of cheapies for canoes and sit on top kakays:

First, visit the nearest large grocery store at night, obtain a milk crate. Attach 1 1/4" PVC to the crate at the angle and in the number you want, usually folks put four, one at each corner, sit it in the bottom of the canoe or tankwell of the kayak. Even have a place to put your noodle jugs, it'll hold a bunch. Or carry other gear in it. IF you are worried about a fish pulling it out, put 10 lbs or more of barbell weights from Wally World.

Second, get PVC pipe, same dimensions as above, also fittings Put together the pipe in whatever configuration you desire using the fittings to get proper angles, mount the base PVC to a 1x4 and use another piece of 1x4 as the clamp side, make sure the base is slightly wider than your gunwale on the canoe, cut the bottom 1x4 to fit tightly under the gunwale rail, take carriage bolts of appropriate length and size, washers to keep the bolts and nuts from digging into the wood, drill holes for them...recommend two or there bolts. .. in both pieces of wood, being sure to line them up. Put the rod holder on top of the gunwales, place the bottom board under the rails, install your bolts, use wing nuts to make it easy to get it on and off.

14. waynebo

waynebo New Member

State:
    p'cola florida
    wal-mart has some cheap clamp on ones,,wayne