Rod holder placement in a small jon

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by photocat, May 28, 2006.

1. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    When i've taken my jon out to play with i've only had 2 rods and there is already a rod holder set up in the boat for those... they are screwed on the inside kind of to the gunnel, kind of not... I wanted to add more before the next tournament because my partner is going to be fishing a different tourny series in PA and i'm left w/ only my boat...

I was wondering if it'd be ok to screw the rod holder bases into the seats rather then the gunnel? also has anyone done this and had a problem with it? If its going to be too much of a problem i'll probably just bring my shore rig (bee ready's bucket mount... and have that with the bucket) on the boat and use that, fill the bucket 1/2 way once i get to my spot and just sit in the middle sear and have the rods face aft out the stern... Any opinions on this would be great... the tourny is June 3rd...

2. 223Smitty

223Smitty New Member

State:
    Indiana
    How about making some of the 4" PVC ones? They're cheap enough to put several around your boat. Here's some I made the other day......

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v438/223smitty/junk/Boat/RodHolder.jpg

Also, there's a fastener called an AVK (wellnut) that installs much like a rivet...you drill a hole & pop in a fastener, except with an AVK you're left with an "insert" you can thread a bolt into. A few of these around your boat & you could move your rodholders where-ever your fishing from.

Smitty

3. borntocatfish

borntocatfish New Member

State:
    NW ohio
    Or you can use wood a 2'' hole bit works nice or go bigger if you have fat bottoms on your rod

4. kccats

kccats New Member

State:
    Olathe, Kansas
    223smitty showed you the ones I used in my small jon boat.
    They worked great!

5. mapper

mapper New Member

State:
    overland park, kansas
    The base on those PVC fishing holders, what are those originally from......are these common items in a hardware store? They don’t look familiar.

6. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

State:
    Pataskala, Ohio
    Name:
    Clarence
    I have ten in my jon. I have the Roberts rod holders. I have four down each side the two in the back two corners for trolling.

7. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Rod holders mounted on a seat are really gonna prohibit your movement. IMO I would mount some good driftmasters on the boat in a way that accessability is easy. With it bein a small JON like ya say,ya don't wanna have to be gettin up to do alot of rod fetchin when the time comes. LOL!

8. 223Smitty

223Smitty New Member

State:
    Indiana
    They are called floor flanges, you can get them at the hardware/home improvement centers in the plumbing section. Just a flange with 4 bolt holes & a female pipe thread in the center.

Smitty

9. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    See i was thinking not in the middle of the seat, but more towards the sides of it like next to the boat also the seat at the bow is only a tiny little thing, barely able to sit on it for a little kid so i was thinking of putting it there too... i don't know i'll take another look at the boat and figure out what i want to do... the BPS by me doesn't have the 90 degree over the side railing mounts for the Driftmasters though and thats what i'd like if i can get them...

10. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Bryan, I have done what your thinking about, and had to do it all over again, I would not. The rod holders I mounted hold the poles at almost a 60 degree angle, which I don't like. I believe now that it weakended the seat, therefore the structure of the boat. I also got a treated 1 X 6 (deck board) and mounted 4 rod holders on it. I used some 8" carriage bolts to fasten the board to the seats by pinching another board on the bottom of the seat with the bolts. Worked pretty well, but the angle of the rods are still not to my liking. However, that said, I like them better than I would like seeing one of my rods go flying over the side. If your interested, send me a PM and I'll try to get some pics of the setups and send you.

11. malaki

malaki New Member

State:
    Redmon Illinois
    i have a 4' wide boat with rod holders mounted to the top of the bench's on each side. works out good for me.

12. Arkie55

Arkie55 New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    Yeah, I have rod holders mounted on my seats too and they work just fine. I also made some holders out of PVC piping and I really like them. I mounted the upright to the front of the seat near each end with pipe clamps. Then extended the upright to about 6" above the seat. The upright I mounted a 45 degree three way pipe union. Holds the rods just right. Easy to make and install. Cheap and function as well as anything I've used. Got the idea from a combination of different rod holders in the Library section.