rod holder out of pvc

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Holder Review' started by brian sax, Oct 19, 2005.

1. brian sax

brian sax New Member

State:
    shawnee kansas
    does anyone know of a good and simple way to make a rod holder out of pvc. i got some in the garage and wanted to make some out of it. i looked one the internet and didnt find any simles ones.

2. JAYNC

JAYNC New Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    is this for a boat or for the shore

3. misterwhiskers

misterwhiskers New Member

State:
    Trenton
    Theres one in the library(wherever that is) thats really good.I made mine like that.
    Used the seat pedestal as a base to hold the pvc and build on from there with corner pices and t' pieces. Used the t sections to hold the rods.

The one in the library had directions if i remember right and a much better picture then i have but this should give ya the idea.

Attached Files:

4. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Joe, I don't believe you said that!! I copied posts for 2 weeks and you didn't see them? LOL Anyway, look here to see a few rod holders. Scroll down the page and you should see some rod holders. There are a few on the next page as well. Hope this helps.

5. brian sax

brian sax New Member

State:
    shawnee kansas
    this is for the shore

6. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    Bryan, I think members do not relate to informative post on this site as being the Library on the old site. You have done an excellent job moving post to this site, do not get discouraged. we will learn this site :D :D

7. ohiocattracker

ohiocattracker New Member

State:
    Cincinnati Ohio
    Whistler i have noticed all the stuff you have been moving over here all the recipes and more.Just like TopSgtLawrence said excellent job and it is appreciated by many.

8. Whistler

State:
    TN
    Thanks guys, but I was just kidding around with Joe. LOL Calling it the library is force of habit I guess. Set up a bit different, but it's got all the same info except for a very few things.

9. Abu

Abu New Member

State:
    Hemlock,Ohio
    If you are looking for good solid rod holders for the bank, try the large spiral rod holders from Catfish Connection. I have tried several and made alot of my own but these are cheap and tough, the best I have found. Abu

10. Nobody Special

Nobody Special New Member

State:
    TN
    Brian, all you have to do is cut one end at an angle so you can stick it in the ground easily. Then figure out how far you want the rod handle to go down into the rod holder and drill a small hole through the PVC and put a bolt through it to make a stop for the rod handle.

11. Whiskers4life

Whiskers4life New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    Alreight, my buddy and I have some which he made, he has 2 inch PVC about two feet long, and then he bolts on a 2 ft piece of angle Iron on the side of it...Take the Angle Iron, and Lay it about half way up the Pipe, and drill holes through corner of angle iron through the pipe, and through the other side of the pipe....Then tak some bolts and feed them through the inside so the head is in the pipe, and screw on your nuts.....Break off the rest of the bolt ends, and poof you have it, and strong rod holder....

12. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    Here is the one I used from the BOC library.
    I only made one and it works very good for me. Light weight, easy to carry.
    Course I don't catch 50 lb fish. Dont know how well it would hold up to them.
    Seems to be strong. The tent stakes makes it easier to drive in the ground. Where I'm at it's hard red clay. On river, I'll do like Grumpy said. Just drive PVC are pipe in sandy softer ground

Only thing I see wrong and not a big problem is, when fishing on different slopes, the angle needs to change a little. Ones I got now I will lay a stick across, under the front legs to lift it up and give rod holder a different angle. I dont like pole sitting straight up are laying too for down.

I will make a change to it if I make another one.
    What I'm going to do next time is. Where the T hooks on at the part I have circled in red. Instead of gluing it together I will drill several holes and install a pin/bolt so I can set it on ground, adjust angle of holders and insert pin/bolt to hold it at the right angle I need.
    Doing that I can also pull pin/bolt and fold down when caring it.
    I haven't done that yet and not sure if it will work but I think it will work OK. It might make it a little loose. Like I said, I haven't tried the change's yet. If it don't work, I'll just glue em like the first one and use a stick to raise up front legs to get my angle.

Check out the pic.

Good Luck

13. brian sax

brian sax New Member

State:
    shawnee kansas
    thanks guys for all your help. i will need to get some supplies and try to build one of those

14. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    I say the less fittings there are the better who wants a big cat to snap a fitting or knock over the whole U-shaped crazy design you have. Just take some pipe about 1 1/2" and cut it to about 2 1/2-3 feet long then just shove that thing into the sand or mud. Slip your rod into and your ready to go. Much easier to carry then an erector set of a rod holder.

15. misterwhiskers

State:
    Trenton
    SO WHERE IS IT??????????????

i seen all the threads with recipes to bait topics andGod Bless Ya cause that looks like alot of time spent movin that around!

Whys it not called the library now?
    I'm guessin fromwhat i'm readin is its under
    Member topics;
    informed member posts right?

I'm still learning this board here,is there not a way to have the threads open in a newwindow?
    besides right clicking and choosing that option

16. misterwhiskers

State:
    Trenton
    SO WHERE IS IT??????????????

i seen all the threads with recipes to bait topics andGod Bless Ya cause that looks like alot of time spent movin that around!

Whys it not called the library now?
    I'm guessin fromwhat i'm readin is its under
    Member topics;
    informed member posts right?

I'm still learning this board here,is there not a way to have the threads open in a newwindow?
    besides right clicking and choosing that option

The pvc rod holder i got is on the boat and works well for fish 20-30 pounds,I'd bet isf its staked good enough it work just as well in the ground

17. Whistler

State:
    TN
    You are right Joe. Here is the area I refer to as the library. You gotta look through it to find stuff now, but I tried to title everything so it's obvious what it is at a glance. Hope it works.

18. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    that rod pod is pretty cool not to many good level places to use them is the bad thing.

19. misterwhiskers

State:
    Trenton
    Couldn't ya bolt something like a tent stake or rebar to the pvc?Make it any length ya want and that sucker ain't goin nowhere after its stuck in the ground.

Whistler,
    It looks awesome,did agreat job.
    Man i'm glad i didn't have to dot hat lots and lots of info!