rod holder ideas

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Holder Review' started by koking20, Feb 7, 2009.

1. koking20

koking20 New Member

State:
    north carolina
    whats up guys i got a little jon boat and not sure how to set up some descent rod holders anybody got any ideas

2. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    David have you looked at the BOC library it has several diff things on rod holders hope this helps

3. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    Take a look at driftmasters. The have mounts for just about any situation.

4. cathooked

cathooked New Member

State:
    north carolina
    Welcome to the BOC David,like Dallas1 said check out the BOC library theres all kinds there ya can make,give it a look see...

5. Stl-Stitch

Stl-Stitch New Member

State:
    Saint Charles, MO
    Welcome to the BOC.

6. catman-j

catman-j New Member

State:
    Eastern Nebr
    Bass pro has some good ones for $14.99 for a pair.

7. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    I have the $14.99 a pair ones from bass pro. They are Action brand. I was skeptical at first with a plastic rod holder and cheap price.

Here is the good about them :

I have had fish pull the tip of my pole in the water and I have snagged while drifting and had the pole doubled over in the holder and they never broke or let a rod pull out.They will hold a rod with a big butt, my Berkley glowsticks fit into them easy, and they have the big cap on the end of the handle for the battery cover. They are easy to get the rod out of when it is loaded up. Grab the foregrip and pull strait back towards you and up and they come right out.

Here is the not so good:

If a good fish hits hard, they won't stay at 45 degrees. The angle is adjustable but a decent fish will pull them down to zero degrees. They use plastic teath that mesh to hold at an angle. The teeth are not strong enough for anything over about 15 pounds. It is not a big deal for me but just know it happens. The rings on the end to lock the poles in are useless. At least one will fall off when installing them. Just take them off from the get go and get it over with. I have had some serious pulling on them and never lost a rod without the locks on.

For the money they are great. As good as driftmasters? I doubt it. Better than the home made PVC ones? Definately! I used to use the home made pvc pipe ones. They are so hard to get out of the holder if a fish loads the rod up good and they tore up my boat cover.

8. KINGCARP

KINGCARP New Member

State:
    north carolina
    i got 2 bank rod holders 10 years old . i paid 60$ for them . they got a big spring on back or them. there automatic jerkers. when a fish bites hard. it jerks back and sets the hook.there awesome never lost a rod and never will.i caught a 75pd blue on them. they are heavy duty one of them weights 8 pounds.i need to buy a welder and make some to sell,

9. nitronostrils

nitronostrils New Member

State:
    IL
    Here's the setup I have, it's a cb antenna mount w/a driftmaster. It's rock solid.

Attached Files:

10. PHLIPS4BIGKATS

PHLIPS4BIGKATS New Member

State:
    Alma Kansas
    Here are one of mine. I made them out of half inch s.s. round bar. They take me about twenty minutes to make. I have six for the back pole holder. Now I thinking of doing the same but try some that are 3/8 since my new boat has eight or ten driftmaster bases set up for drifting.

Attached Files:

11. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    for the price the action brand twin pack at 14.99 is hard ta beat, i have 4 on my boat, 2 flush mount and 2 side mount and haven't had any problems, but i also use baitrunner reels so i'm not real concerned with anything pulling my poles out of the holders

12. BassMassey

BassMassey Well-Known Member

State:
    Oconee
  13. BobbyLee

BobbyLee New Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohio
    Welcome to the BOC David.
    These are made out of 4 inch PVC, with 6" inch 3/8" in. carriage bolts. covered with black nylon tubing. PVC is slotted so they will adjust up or down as well as side to side. Bases are ceiling flanges bought at Lowes. They can be mounted just about anywhere. If you use a round bar for the back you can use split ring pipe hangers for the mounts instead of ceiling flanges. I'm using the split rings on my bow rails. You can get a piece of flat steel, sqaure tubing or even a 2X4 to mount across the back of your boat. Pics are here. http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103349&page=3
    If you have any questions. Send me a PM, will be glad to help you out.

14. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    Caught a new PB blue today. He was #40 and hit like a mad gorilla. My $14.99 action twin pack rod holder handled it no problem.

15. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    Welcome to the BOC David

16. team salmon

team salmon New Member

State:
    kansas
    i have a 14ft john boat and i have 4 of the bass pro plastic ones in my boat. i took a 2by12 and cut it to the length of my boat then cut smaller pieces to use as shims to get the wood up high enough to be able to have clearence for the rod holders on the sides of the boat and bolted them together and bolted them to the seats. two other great things about this is i now have a 12 foot cutting board so everyone in the boat can cut their own bait and i mounted the rod holders back from the sides enough that when i fold them down all the way i can lay my rods down on the boards and it keeps them out of the way and secure when under power. I even hung the boards about 4inches past the end of the bench seats and i can stick the butt of two rods under that and over the bow and stern which alows me to drift fish 6 rods very efficiently. The shim boards i spoke of earlier are 2by 10 which form a nook for these other two rods to rest. I'm new to the sight if i can figure out how to post pics I'll post some.

17. Heavyhitter063

Heavyhitter063 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    If your lookin for a bank one, i go to my local Bass Pro, and they have some cheap one's for about 5.00. But i'm sure you can go to any local store or bait shop and find a sturdy lifetime rod holder for cheap!!:wink:

18. catfishcatcher

catfishcatcher New Member

State:
    indiana
    I also have the action brand rod holders. I havent had much problem with them and they have held up for sure. The price was great but I wish they made extension poles for them to get them up a bit from a platform mount situation.

19. catmankev

catmankev New Member

State:
    Valmeyer, Illinois
    They do have extentions for them. I have two myself.