Rod holder for large rocky area?

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Holder Review' started by archer1914, May 31, 2007.

1. archer1914

archer1914 New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    New here first post hope you guys can help I am trying new places to fish and they mostly have large and unstable rocks for keeping the soil in place I dont feel comfortable stacking them to hold my poles or sticking my pole in between them to secure it either would love some ideas will check back on this site tommorrow thanks for any help

2. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    David Welcome to the BOC. Check out the BOC library. There are several rodholder types mentioned. I use a 5-gallon bucket with two atwood rod holders attached to the rim. All I need is water. Can be used from the bank or boat. I found the idea in the library. It was a good one. I hope this is helpful.:lol::big_smile:

3. tbartek

tbartek New Member Supporting Member

State:
    New Germany, PA
    David welcome to the BOC :0a25:Cabelas sells a nice tripod rod holder that looks like it works pretty well. I fish similar places and made one of my own that works pretty well. I'll attach a pic.

Attached Files:

4. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    i fish a lot below dams where there are lots of rocks to.ive found that pvc pipe worked down into the rocks works just fine.

5. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Tim thanks for sharing the pic of your homemade rod holder. You did an excellent job. You should send a complete breakdown to Whistler and he might consider putting it in the library.:lol:

6. odtimr

odtimr New Member

State:
    nebraska
    David
    I have made mine out of 1 inch inside heavy wall conduit piping cut about 10 inches long & have about 2 ft piece of 3/8" concrete rebar welded on the side. Last ones no welder so secured with two auto hose worm clamps, with the top of the rebar reaching the top of the pipe. In the rocks you can work the sharpened rebar far enough down to wedge it good, also with the rebar flush with the top of the pipe you can pound it down with a rock. Cut the pipe with a hack saw and grind a point of the end of the rebar. Hauling isn’t bad as they will slip together if have more than one. Drop the butt of the rod in the pipe, won,t work with a thick butt baitcasting rod. Luck

7. P. nasuta

P. nasuta New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Hi Archer,

I agree with poisonpits, nothing beats a 3' long - 2" diameter pvc pipe. That is what I use below dams, on muddy banks, and on the beach. If you are hurting for bank space you can push the pipe into the river or lake bottom (in shallow water) and your reel will not get wet. In my avitar I am fishing below a dam and am using large rocks to hold my pvc pipes.

Take Care,
    P. nasuta