Rod Holder for Bank fishing?

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Holder Review' started by Catman 1964, Jan 19, 2006.

1. Catman 1964

Catman 1964 New Member

State:
    New Mexico
    Anybody have plans or ideas on how to make a good rod holder foir bank fishing. Here in this part of NM the ground is like rock. Any help is appreciated.:)

2. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    Ivy Bend on LOZ, Missouri
    Not sure this is what your looking for, but here at lake of the ozarks in missouri they lower the lake during the winter. SO IT IS ROCKS! What I do is take 2 folding lawn chairs. Put one with the back towards the water, place tackle box on it and then prop my rods between the back and the arms..sit in the other....works for me.;)

3. T-Bone

T-Bone New Member

State:
    South of Dallas
    I used 2" steel pipe about 24" long and welded re-bar in the shape of a T down one side of each holder. You can step on the T or pull it up by the T. Grinded the end to a point, painted them with rubberized undercoating. They work great for soft bottoms or hard bottoms. Now rock ? Not sure about that.

4. stickthrower

stickthrower New Member

State:
    Possum Kingdom Lk, TX
    I also fish a lot of areas that you can't drive a rod holder in the ground. I made a rod holder by using a plastic milk crate. Used heavy cable ties to attach two pieces of 2" PVC pipe on sides at the appropriate angle for rod holders. Used 1 1/2" PVC pieces on back to store pliers, snips, etc. Put my Plano boxes of hooks, sinkers, drinks, tools, etc in the box. Also attached a shoulder strap to make it easy to carry. Works out GREAT. Wish I had a digital camera so I could post a picture. Total cost $0. I had all of the stuff sitting around in my shop. If I had to buy it I guess it would have cost me $10.00?

I got so used to it even in places where I could drive a stake if needed I ended up using it.:)

Frank

5. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Stick.... I'd like to see a pic of that. It sounds like it would work ou real well. How did the crate hold upright when the rods were in the PVC? Did you weight it down? Very interested in this....

6. joesf

joesf New Member

State:
    Bloomington IL
    This is what I use. It sets under my Coleman Folding chair.

Attached Files:

7. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
  8. james

james New Member

State:
    Blue Ridge texa
    I use just a piece of PVC pipe thats about 2 foot long big enough to put my rod handle in. It wont work in rocky areas though but great for mud or sand banks. and there cheap

9. Catman 1964

Catman 1964 New Member

State:
    New Mexico
    Thanks for the the help I am going to go by Home Depot and try one of the PVC Holders.

10. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    This is what I use on concrete or rock!!!

11. stickthrower

stickthrower New Member

State:
    Possum Kingdom Lk, TX
    It worked out great! It holds the rods fine. I originally put 2-5# dive weights in the bottom to make sure it was heavy enough to hold the rods at 45 degree angles & it was great. I also use several plano 3600 size boxes to hold hooks, weights, bobbers, etc. I also carry a old claw hammer & a concrete stake to drive in the ground to stablize it and hook a stringer to if needed. Believe me a fish will not pull the rod rack over! I used a shoulder strap off of an old gym bag I swiped from my wife, that makes it easy to carry. Just use a little imagination.

I might suggest when your attaching everything that you take plenty of tie wrap with you and do it out on the bank fishing for bait so you can play with it/adjust things as needed to see what works best for you. It sure helped me cut down on the numbr of things I need to carry as well as help keep it organized. I just grab it and go!

I liked it so well that I have since made a second one so I can have four rods out when the kids & wife are there. (Here in WA you can only use one rod per person).

I'm going to try to get a friend make a digital picture so I can post it here.:)

Frank

12. D_Weezy

D_Weezy Active Member

State:
    Cadiz, Ohio
    Name:
    Dale
    I will post a real picture later, but this is what I use for rocky ground or pier fishing. It is a 5 gallon bucket with a piece of treated lumber (1 1/2"x2"x14") bolted to it. You can use it to carry gear to your fishing spot, and then empty it and fill it with water for weight. I then put one of those 5 Gallon Minnow Bucket Lids on it from Catfish Connection ($2.65). I can then keep a few creek chubs in it, so that I don't have to keep dipping into my main bait tank or keep pulling my flow-through bucket out of the water.

http://img216.imageshack.us/img216/1637/02182006041311am3sf.jpg

13. Cattoo

Cattoo New Member

State:
    caneyville,ky.
    i made some basic forked rod holders out of 1/4 inch rod. they are about 3 foot long and i ground a point on the end. works real well in rocky situations.

14. fraid_knot

fraid_knot Guest

Round here I fish alotta places where the road just ends in the water. I just back the truck down close to the water's edge an use C-clamps to fasten my rod holders to the tailgate. Spose on some of yer nice trucks ya mite wanna use some sorta pads to protect the paint.

15. Chief

Chief New Member

State:
    Indiana
    i used a cement block that had 3 holes for awhile. layed it on its side and put a rod in each slot. worked really well actually. its heavy, but if you can drive to your spot like i can its kinda nice. i upgraded to 3 foot sticks of rebar that i bent the end to about 60 degrees, then cut a piece of 1 1/4 inch pvc about 6 inches long and used 2 metal hose clamps to clamp it to the rebar. works excellent

16. slabmaster

slabmaster New Member

State:
    missouri
    check out informative member area in boc outdorr publications. commanchero came up with rod holders on a five gallon bucket. i made one it works real well.i carry all my cat tackle in it .

17. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    I use the Metal Spirals and Pistol grip ones from Catfish connection most the time... I knot you guys want to save money but a dollar or 2 a rod holder is hard to beat... and the heavy duty spirals really are heavy duty...

The other thing which isn't nessessarily cheaper then building on your self but is definitely portable and once set up is multi purpose.... Its the Bee Ready Rod holder for the 5 gallon bucket... Fill the bucket up, slip the rod holder on... fish for bait and toss it in the bucket, when you need a fresh bait, just reach in and grab one... right at your finger tips... and as long as you don't use 25 lbs(i know 5gals weighs about 40, but 25 is a safe number for the just incases) of drag on your reel when your waiting then you should have no problems w/ lost rods...

18. FlatGetter

FlatGetter New Member

State:
    Illinois
    The best rod holders for the price is in catfish connection. they are pretty light weight heavy duty rod holders.