Rod Holder Angles

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by kennylee, Apr 7, 2008.

1. kennylee

kennylee New Member

State:
    Missouri -
    I plan on making a rod holder bar that holds 6 rod holders across the rear of my boat, and plan to use fixed angle rod holders (the 1 piece metal with plastic coating) and my question is;

What is the best pole angle for catching cats?

horizontal = 0, vertical = 90 deg

thanks from the guppie

2. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    I personally like a 45 degree angle. Nice hook up with kahles and circles that way.

3. roundhill

roundhill New Member

State:
    kings mtn
    about 30% works best if your drifting

4. bumper

bumper New Member

State:
    Georgia
    I mainly fish from an anchored position, and my rod holders are probably at about a 60 to 70 degree angle.

5. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY

Excellant point and I would quote Rounhill also with another good point. I recon ya gotta consider what the majority of your fishin is gonna be. Me, I like the 45 degree angle for the hook set that will load up if ya want to or let it run.

6. cathooked

cathooked New Member

State:
    north carolina
    first of all welcome to the boc brother,about 45 to 60 degrees is good ,it all depends on how you like em and whats easy to get out of the holder when the big one hits...You need to check out the libary on here,lots of ideas and i mean lots..

7. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I love rod holders there good to have

8. fish_head

fish_head New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    I put some in and they are adjustable. Action ones from Cabelas. For me, the adjustable is best, but I would say 45 degrees would be a good choice for fixed one. They are great unless you enjoy fishing for poles.
    Peoples' reaction times are slower that how fast a pole can exit the boat:wink:.

9. kingneck76

kingneck76 New Member

State:
    Jeff City MO
    I would never go less than 45 unless your using a clicker with free spool. For tightlining circles almost 90 probly 75-80. I fish mainly from bank, and I set my bait caster at less than 0 on freespool pointing directly at my bait. That being said the rod holder is one of those that wraps the rod also. They would have a hard time pulling it out. Heck I have a hard time pulling it out if I bump the spool lock, and kick it out of free spool before getting it out. I have done this on a good fish, and had the pole jump out of my hand. So there I went chasing close to $150 down the bank.