rod holder angles what works for you?

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Holder Review' started by biga, Dec 26, 2007.

1. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    i bought some 30degree rod holders for my river jon and i really dont like them.. it 20 foot of water and casted out 10yds a small fish can pull the rod down were its almost pointing at the water but it doesnt really load the rod.. i dont seen to be having as many hookups with these as i have with the rod tips higher in the air so they really load the rod.. what angle does everyone else like.. i mainly anchor but these 30s might not be bad to drift with..

2. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Adam, I tend to agree with you. For smaller boat with low sides, the 30's might not work as well for anchoring as the 45's that I normally use on my homemade holders. I use Driftmasters L'il Duos on my larger boat, and they work just fine. A big fish can and will sometimes pull the rod tip into the water, but the circle hooks have done their job by that time. :wink:

3. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I prefer a 45 degree angle. I have more hook-ups.

4. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    i like a 45 of higher angle when anchored on a hole myself also ..i have had more hookups with the higher tip also..

5. cliff n york

cliff n york New Member

State:
    south carolina
    i agree, i feel you will do better with a 45 degree rod holder

6. Baitcutter

Baitcutter New Member

State:
    VA
    I have a couple of the 25 degree holders but like the 45's better. Hope to change em out soon.

7. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    I like the Driftmaster Duo's. You have a choice of 30* or 0*.

8. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I agree with Jeff I use driftmaster duos

9. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    I use the Quick-Draw setup from Cabela's, which I believe are made by "Scotty". I have had excellent performance from them and they have multiple angle increments which are quick & easy to make.

I've even used them in the saltwater while anchored with zero failures:wink:

10. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    I've ordered 45 degree holders for the back of the boat, plus some of the lil Duo's for the sides... My boat won't be here until April, but the rod holders should be in this week :0a1:

I think that the Scotty type rod holders get a bad rap on here. I've watched them take a lot of abuse in a friends boat with no problems, and the ability to adjust the angle has been a big plus.

11. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    i fixe my problems with a new rod rack i can go 0 to 90degree with 2 thumb screws now...

12. Little Luey

Little Luey New Member

State:
    Arizona

that is what want for my pontoon.

13. mandingo

mandingo Member

State:
    kansas
    i agree with elliot,i have the quick-draws also and after trying and using alot of different types of rod holders,the quick-draws are the best by far.only downside is that i have 1 kingkat rod that will not fit cuz of the thick cork handle

14. michael357mag

michael357mag New Member

State:
    texas
    I set my ram rod holder at about 45 degrees for the best hook up.

15. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    On a 7 ft rod, changing from 30° to 45° will raise the rod tip 17 3/8". On an 8' rod it will raise the rod tip 19 7/8".

16. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    i have had good luck with the flatliners. I think they are a 25 degs.
    But i also use a stiffer rod and the hookups are pretty good.

17. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    In my last jon boat I built all of my own rodholders out of PVC tubing and all the rods were darn near vertical. My new boat has a couple of near vertical holders toward the rear and four 20 degree (I think - darn near horizontal) holders on the gunnels.

I really like and prefer the high angle holders. I have never really liked the flat ones and I have trouble getting the rods in and out.

18. katcatchingfool

katcatchingfool New Member

State:
    illinois
    i just baught some drift masters that were soposed to be set at 25 degree but i dont think one of them came in 25 degrees they where all over the place.