Rod Help

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by brinley45cal, Oct 2, 2005.

1. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    I just got an ABU 7000 for my birthday and need a good rod to put it on.But i dont know what kind to get that would go well with my new reel.Any suggestions?and why you like that particular rod.I just dont know,a cat maxx,or a,whuppin stick,eagle claw,american premire?i have no idea.Id like it to be an 8 footer but might consider a 9 footer but i can control the 8 footers better then the really long ones.And it has to be able to handle the big boys when needed.HELP!

2. SSG Johnson

SSG Johnson New Member

State:
    Saint Robert Missouri
    check Gator out brother Ive seen pics of his rods and heard from people that have them and I have talked to him I would buy one of his for sure.

3. Gator

Gator New Member

State:
    Ludowici GA
    My question is are you looking for a store bought rod or one built for you. If you are looking for a store bought rod then look at Catmaxx or Ugly stick they are good and will hold up. if you look for a rod built for you to your specs then PM me.

4. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    im thinking store bought.I was thinking about the cat maxx.Whatabout a whuppin stick,or eagle claw,or american premier?Any of those any good?

5. Gator

Gator New Member

State:
    Ludowici GA
    They’re all good for what they we designed to do. Here is a few questions you should be asking your self.
    1) How big of fish am I going after?
    2) What type of line am I going to use?
    3) How much weight am I going to be casting?
    4) Do I want a fast action or slow action rod (soft tip or stiff tip)?
    Now once you answer these I will be able to give you more input but of the one’s you have mentioned here I would go with (in order and just my 2 bits worth), Ugly stick, Catmaxx and American Premier. These rods are to me any way the better choices. Ugly stick would be the on I would go with first. The whupping stick is a good rod just lacks the back bone I want and the older eagle claw rods were good but I don’t like the new blanks they just seem to be lacking something and I am not sure what it is. Just my 2 cents worth.

6. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    I am assuming you want what everyone wants, low cost high quality right? I have a 9' 2pc whuppin stick and 2 7' 1pc ugly stick catfish seires. Both rods are under $30 both will git er done. They are both rated at ~15-30lb line as far as stiffness the tip on the whuppin stick is stiffer but the ugly cat seems a litter sitffer overall. The ugly cat has 2 more eyes witch I like because it keeps the line off the rod better. The longer whupping stick makes it a little easer to reach around stuff in the water when reeling in. I dont think I'd break either on a fish if so they got warrantes. A bigger ugly would be cool but be prepaired to shell out the $$. You might also consider a king kat or king kat pro for $20 they seemed almost identical to the whupping stick when I was bending um over in the store, but I dont think they have a warranty. I'm thinking of getting one so I can have another 2pc rod. Well thats all I have to say about that the rest is up to you and what you think you want. peace out