rod help

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by bluecatnut, Jul 8, 2006.

1. bluecatnut

bluecatnut New Member

State:
    freeburg illinois
    hey guys i need help finding a replacement rod but i am having a delima
    i was thinking about a jim moyer boss rod mh-h or ugly tiger stik or a American Spirit OTS Supreme rod or a American Spirit OTS night stick but not sure please help this rod will be for both flathead and blues and i am putting a catala 400 on it thanks for ur help

2. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Dusty, I don't think you can go wrong with the Ugly Stik. They're my favorite. What is a Catala reel? Do you mean a Calcutta, by Shimano?
    Never heard of a Catala.:confused2:

3. LarryW

LarryW New Member

State:
    Abbeville Louisiana
    I would also go with the uglystick and I think the tiger would be just fine if you will be going after large fish.

4. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Ugly stik Tiger for sure.

5. EsoxJohnny

EsoxJohnny New Member

State:
    Indiana
    The Shimano Catala is a discontinued model. Many people confuse them for a Calcutta as their appearance is similar but they are two very distinct reels.

6. barbel

barbel New Member

State:
    Somewhere
    I think I may be the only one on here that has tried the American Spirit OTS Supreme, and I feel as though it is almost the exact same as an Ugly Stik Tiger of the same action (mine is heavy action). This is only an opinion, but its what I have observed. I use it for my really heavy flathead/blue setup. It is cheaper than the Tiger, but it is the same quality. I weigh 200 pounds and I would feel safe hanging on the end of the pole LOL. The OTS Supreme is made of E-glass, which is more or less a fabled substance on this board. I have never had experience with The Boss rods though.

I would go with the OTS Supreme. I believe it also has a guaruntee, so if you dont like it you can send it back.

7. kurt

kurt New Member

State:
    ohio
    I believe the boss rod by far is the better choice. It has a really fast tip for good solid hooksets and feel, and a telephone pole back bone for bringing in the biggest of fish. The stainless rod guides are almost indistructible.

8. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Thanks for the info, John. :smile2:

9. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    This is my first year with the BOSS rod and I can't say enough good things about it. I've been using E-cat #4s for the last 6 years. I got the boss rods this spring and have caught a 41 and a 36 pound flathead on them and they handled those fish well. They have a faster tip than my E-cats which has translated into farther casts ( with the same effort) with the big baits and 4 to 6 oz of lead I use. I have no experience with the other rods, If they are cheaper try em. I've heard good things about the Tiger, just never held one so I can't comment.

10. kfritts

kfritts New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Where do you get the Moyers - Boss? I haven't seen them.