rod help e cat ans ugly stick

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by FATDAD, Jan 15, 2010.

1. FATDAD

FATDAD New Member

State:
    Mount Sterling,
    i have two of the old e cat #4 7.6 rods are they to stiff to fish live bait? i have trouble slinging chubs off dont know if its me or the rods, also i have some 7ft ugly stick catfish rods are the good enough to use for blues and flatheads? i use 6500s if that matters

Last edited: Jan 15, 2010
  2. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Use enough weight and you can sling anything with your set-up.

3. steveturner024

steveturner024 Active Member

State:
    Illinois
    Name:
    Steve Turner
    I use my 8' MH ugly stik catfish rod for the biggest fish I can catch. The biggest fish I have caught on it is a 11lb carp and it handled it well. I would think this rod will handle a 30lber. I hope I catch a big blue on it this year.

4. Branj796

Branj796 Member

State:
    Illinois
    The ugly stik catfish rod will stand up to any fish you can catch. As long as you arent in the Mississippi with 20 ounce sinkers you will be fine. Just watch where the 2-piece rods come together. This is where they will break if they do. I have had one break there. I use them all the time and so does my partner and we have caught everything that has bit. Up to 66 pounds to date. The rod I broke was really beat up and probably got smashed before heading out. The fish and logpile I caught just finished it off. Still my favorite rods.

5. tricitycatter

tricitycatter Member

State:
    Washington
    I have 3 6' M Ugly Sticks that I use all the time for everything, I usually use em when night bobber fishin in the spring with cut bait (can't use live bait here in WA) & so far I have landed a 22# & 26# Channell with them. of course where I use em I don't have to cast very far so they work out just fine, The 7' rod should be great for you.

6. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

I use the 8ftmh Uglycats for my carp and channel fishing.I think they,ll wear down anything you get on the end.It depends on how much weight you wanna cast.Seems like 4ozs is about the max you,d wanna cast with.Thry,re strong rods,but not strong enough to horse a big flat.Depends on what you got planned for them.

7. MAX1955

MAX1955 New Member

State:
    KENTUCKY
    I agree with this post on the mh uglys. I had the same problem with a rod being to stiff for live baits, but I learned to cast live baits with it. I also agree with other post a little more weight helps with a stiff rod.

8. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    try hooking your chubs through the corners of the eyes next time, wont cast off so easy