Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,806 Posts
I have the EVA on all my catfishing rods and a few of my bait and bass rods, having said that I prefer the looks and feel of cork. I clean both with dish washing soap and a small brush.

·
Registered
Dave from ohio
1,767 Posts
I have both, but prefer eva, they look better longer, hold up better from rod holder abuse. The only down fall to them is some are as big around as a pop can.

·
Registered
Winston, Indiana
4,343 Posts
Neither, for cat rods, I prefer paracord.
I love the look and feel of cork….. I have some hand-built carp rods over 40 years old that I still use….. but from a practical point of view I have to go with the cord. It’s hard wearing, small diameter, easy to keep clean (Scotchgard from new) and very easy to change if necessary.
The last batch of six cat rods I bought came with some nasty cork (that I knew wouldn’t last) and I used them until the handles started to give out. The cord made them look like new.

…W

·
Registered
Steve from Mississippi
1,658 Posts
I get you on that one Winston but you touched on a point that I dont like. I dont like the small diameter. They dont sit as well in the holders and want to roll around. If I did my own I could make them bigger and would probably like them better. I have only filled in the split handles with cord and I like that.

·
Registered
Winston, Indiana
4,343 Posts
Lol, Steve,
I have little hands so I need all the help I can get!!!!

…W

·
Registered
Aaron from Indiana
222 Posts
Between EVA and cork, I prefer cork. The cork on Whisker Seeker Chad Ferguson rods is supposed to be some superior version of cork (according to them). Heck, I haven’t used them enough to say how long they’ll last or how durable they are. I haven’t tried paracord handles yet.

·
Registered
Steve from Mississippi
1,658 Posts
From the Whisker Seeker I have held and looked at, the handles are not pure cork. They are a composite cork and foam or something. I do like the feel of them but they feel a little on the small side for me. I could live with it though. Been wanting one of their Heavy rods.

·
Registered
Don from Glendale Arizona
4,966 Posts
EVA...for 2 reasons... 1)the look & feel 2) EVA comes in really cool color schemes for new builds and re-builds. These old eyes need all the help they can get.

·
Registered
3,485 Posts
I like the synthetic material too cleans up nice and I like the thicker handles as long as they fit in the rod holders

Reactions: SteveMcK

·
Registered
25 Posts
Agreed , gets my heart racing when those smaller diameter rod handles turn on the rod holder. But the paracord looks SWEET! Just ordered a slimecat rod and it has really cool handle designs

1 - 15 of 15 Posts