Rod handles

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by Matthew72, Jun 7, 2006.

1. Matthew72

Matthew72 New Member

State:
    Cobden Il.
    I like the handles to be the really short kind that look like pistol grips with the trigger on the bottom. I have a hard time cranking on a spinning rod or even a long handled casting rod. I want some long rods but I cant find them with the little handles. Do yall ever see 7 or 8 foot rods with the short casting handle? I may have to get a custom one made.What are all yall's thoughts?

2. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    I once made a rod like you describe. I didn't like it after all the work i put into it. the balance was just not right. I found that i needed the extra leverage of the long handle ,after using it for a while. I understand what you want .
    Hope you find something that works for you. Have you tried to make the handle bigger around? I added layers of rubber tape to a 7 ft spinning rod handle and liked it.

3. Matthew72

Matthew72 New Member

State:
    Cobden Il.
    I wonder if I can saw the end off of a long one? Then, tape the end up so there wont be any rough edges. Do yall think that would work?

4. SilverCross

SilverCross New Member

State:
    Fairbury, Illin
    It will work. I just cut the bottom six inches off of my Ugly sticks, Walmart ones that were 6'6" so they would fit in my truck. I have to admit, I like them better now than before. Just go to a hardware store or Walmart and get some black plastic leg covers, I guess that is what they are, then I glued them on the bottom and you can't tell they didn't come from the factory that way.

5. Matthew72

Matthew72 New Member

State:
    Cobden Il.
    That is exactly what I will try.:big_smile: