Rod for the small boat?

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by bootshowl, Oct 11, 2006.

1. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    OK bank fishing the big poles are king. But as a newbie was wondering what is the good choice for boat fishing.....not sure I want an 8ft. pole in a 10ft. boat. And the rod holders in my boat won't hold the rods I use bank fishing. Also was remembering my gand pap telling me of boat fishing the Ohio in small boat with a hand line. They used a "winding board" and braided line. He said you best have a glove for the big cats. Anyone still doing that? Appreciate any advice.
    :smile2:

2. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    welcome to the BOC not to tell you what to do but , iv got 7' rods i use walmart carries shakespear ugly sticks in spinning and casting rods for $27.99 i highly recomend them

3. superman

superman New Member

State:
    DeSoto MO
    i agree with the 7 foot ugly stick awsome rod

4. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    No, please tell me what to do. That's why I'm here. I'll check em out.
    I tried one of the Zebco Rhino's that was 6'6" and it snapped like a twig
    with a good strike and set, at a lake known for big ens. Thanks.
    :big_smile:

5. superman

superman New Member

State:
    DeSoto MO
    go with the ugly stick not real expensive under 35 bucks if memory serves me right bought four about march and have reeled in a couple 50 plus blues

6. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    check out walmart.
    a couple weeks back they had uglysticks at our wallyworlds for 20.00
    not bad for a nice strong rod.
    by the way welcome to the BOC.

7. cathouse

cathouse New Member

State:
    NY
    I also have a 14ft. boat that i use on lake ontario and it's tribs i love my 7 footers where it is applicable the longest i use for ease of transport as i have yet to install rod holders is 7'6" . And i might add that that is my big cat in medium action which i use for live baiting early season pike not a monster cat but what a rush .

8. coltsfan

coltsfan New Member

State:
    ohio
    thats what i use and lov'em for the money

9. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Walmart carries two different cat rods. One is the Shakesphere rod mentioned in the previous threads, sells for about $29.99. The other, and the one I prefer, is the Berkley Big Game. The only reason my preference is for the Berkley pole is I don't want to spend 30 dollars when 20 will get about the same thing. The way some people are, everyone would have to drive Hummers instead of Pintos. Thats life.

10. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    The ugly stick or berkely are good choices. Rod length that works best for me is any where from 6.6 ft to 8ft. If you are after really big uns, the Tiger Ugly Sticks are a good way to go for under $60.