Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Josh from Alabama
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took a chance last night on a new in open box Penn Fathom. I was the only bid so I got it for $118 shipped. Hopefully everything is legit and it turns out to be a great deal. My question is what rod would pair up well with this reel. I have 2 of the squall 15 non lw and they are considerable lighter than the fathom. I have one on an Ugly stik tiger elite H and the other on a Mojo cat MH. Would either of these be good choices? Any other recommendations are welcome. It was just too good of a deal to pass on.

·
Premium Member
11,191 Posts
Good price for the Fathom 15 Josh. Size wises that reel should do nicely on any rod from a medium to a heavy. There are a lot good rods available so all I would suggest is putting it on a medium heavy rod if fishing blues or flatheads. If you are fishing channels, go with a medium. If you are fishing in very strong current, you might want a heavy rod.

Without knowing water conditions, what fish you are targeting and whether your bank fishing or in a boat we are just making a blind guess.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I had the same reel on a MH Mojo and it makes a pretty nice setup. The reel feels a little bulky for that rod, but it's not bad. If you already own the rod I would definitely mount it and try it out.

·
Registered
Steve from Mississippi
1,366 Posts
I would put a fathom on a good MH or heavy rod to get the most from that drag. Also since it is a kinda heavy reel, I think it might be a little too out of balance on a rod as light as the Mojo Cat but it will serve well on that rod. Just my thoughts. Seems you got one heck of a deal. Congrats!

·
Registered
Josh from Alabama
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the info. I'll try it on the ones I have right now and can always upgrade in the future if needed. What line do you suggest for it. I typically run 20lb BG. I'm not a huge fan of braid but to get the most out of the drag and line capacity I might have to give it a try. I'm typically fishing in a River with little current or behind dams where the current and structure varies.

·
Banned
1,666 Posts
Thanks for the info. I'll try it on the ones I have right now and can always upgrade in the future if needed. What line do you suggest for it. I typically run 20lb BG. I'm not a huge fan of braid but to get the most out of the drag and line capacity I might have to give it a try. I'm typically fishing in a River with little current or behind dams where the current and structure varies.
If you are sticking to using 20lb mono then a medium heavy is more then enough.

Are you fishing from a shore or a boat and for which catfish species?

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
Team Catfish Thunder Cat
MH 7' 6" casting
or big boy H 8' casting
sixty bucks give or take at walmart online

also Hyper Cat 7' 6"
$62.95 at Catfish Connection

Reactions: Flathead Tyrant

·
Registered
Steve from Mississippi
1,366 Posts
That HyperCat is a great rod but beware. If you want a parabolic action and/or a soft tip for circle hooks the HyperCat is not it. I was disappointed when I got mine because it is so stiff and fast action. It is a fantastic rod otherwise.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts