rod building

Discussion in 'Misc Fishing Tackle Talk' started by billcatfish, Feb 8, 2007.

1. billcatfish

billcatfish New Member

State:
    evansville Ind
    have any of you all ever tryed building a new rod. was surfing the net an looking around an there are lots of kits out there to get started any advice will help

2. shuorc

shuorc New Member

State:
    fl
    If you are looking for something different to do it's interesting but the rod will cost more than you pay for a good rod. Rebuilt a few to try it out then bought a 8' Lamiglas blank and all the good stuff(around $100) found rods on sale for $40 and haven't finished it yet(15 yrs). Go to your library and get Clement's Advanced Custom Rod Building a good read.--shu

3. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    Theier are many rod builders on this site! Good ones too! It is a very expensive venture but rewarding as well. Good luck to you.

By the way: I craft my own specialty lures and plugs (for bass, Pike & muskie) For around 40-60$ @.
    Gold plated hooks and silver "lips/wobblers" (on jitterbugs/topwater & some divers) These are for keepsakes and gifts but I have used them also. I don't have any pics though..yet. I do all the airbrushing and detailing by hand and use semi precious stones for eyes and the like.
    Good luck Brother! I'm sure someone will chime in and help you out.
    Try www.mudhole.com for starters. HTH

4. TA2D

TA2D New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    There is a member on this site who makes custom rods, Gator is his screen name. He would be able to tell you more about what you need to get started.

Aaron

TA2D

5. slimepig

slimepig New Member

State:
    Kerrville Texas
    it can be expensive as far as buying the blank, a rod wrapping jig, drying motor, etc.. I suggest learning by rebuilding your old rods first. after you see whether you even like this new hobby, then you can spend money on tools, blanks, etc. I made my own wrapper for less than $20. i think the plans are here in the library somewhere. i love this hobby; its a lot of fun especially if you have lots of patience. Ill post some pics of my latest projects ive done later.

6. slimepig

slimepig New Member

State:
    Kerrville Texas
    im just learnin myself, so please dont be too critical lol.

these pictures are of a Texas Flag weave I did. they show the progression of the work. pic oo1 shows the homemade 70 thread loom i made which saved me about $80.

Attached Files:

7. tomcat85

tomcat85 New Member

State:
    uh
    search janns netcraft on google they have pretty good kits for good prices.

8. tomcat85

tomcat85 New Member

State:
    uh
    And the texas flag weave on your pole is excellent!

9. slimepig

slimepig New Member

State:
    Kerrville Texas
    here are some pictures of marbling that you can pretty a rod up with instead of thread. these are my first attempts at this. i practiced on a wooden dowel.

Attached Files:

10. slimepig

slimepig New Member

State:
    Kerrville Texas
    heres a couple more to show more things you can do when rebuilding or building rods.
    pic 65 is a simple chevron wrap, pic 66 is a feather inlay.

rodbuilding.org is a good place to go to learn some of this stuff. enjoy yourself. if ya need help just holler.

Attached Files:

11. waterwalker

waterwalker New Member

State:
    Louisville Ohio
    Never tried building my own, would be a rewarding hobby.

12. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    wow those pisc are super Id love to try but I dont think Id have the patientence

13. shuorc

shuorc New Member

State:
    fl
    Nice wraps, shows you have more patience than i do. Do like the flag, my brother wrapped an american flag on an surf type rod for me and i set it down to get a drink from the cooler heard a noise, turned around in time to see the rod flying through the air, it and a new Mitchell reel and off Crystal river in 30' of water.--shu