Rod Building?

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by CJ21, Oct 25, 2006.

1. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I am wondering have u guys try rod building? I am thinking about starting building my own, it seems like a fun idea.

2. Swampy

Swampy New Member

State:
    Fl.
    CJ I've thought about doing a few but never have got around to starting one yet. Good luck Bro.

3. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    I've built two, but years ago. One was a spinning rod, the other a 10 wt fly rod. Its not that difficult mechanically, but good rod builders seem to know how to find the sweet spot in the rod and build around it. To do it right takes a bit of expenditure, you really need a cradle to hold the rod when working on it. A motorized one is even better as it helps you get the windings tight.

4. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    I'v rewrapped one but seem like an expensive hobby for me anyway. Good luck!

5. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    If the rod is for catfishing, there are some pretty good factory rods out there and if those aren't good enough for you, maybe you need to talk to Gator. That's especially true if what you are talking about is a one off rod, not making them seriously. I guess it can be a fun hobby, sort of like reloading and building your own ammo, but, like all hobbies, its expensive. Me, I'll stick to the store bought toys for now. Love my new Ugly Stick big water casting rod...its an 1120, 7 footer.

6. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I know what u mean gadzooks, my woodworking hobby is expensive. Well right I am use berkely big game rods from wal-mart. I would like to upgrade when I have the money. I would also like to build a bass rod for when I get my new bass rig. buts thats later on down the road. I need a real job lol.

7. rushing

rushing New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Nothing like catching a fish on a rod you build. You're not going to be able to build a rod cheaper than you could buy one but you can build the rod you want. Its a great winter time activity. Good Luck!

8. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    can anybody (especially gator) go thru the steps. I wanna build one this winter as a hobby. I want an 8'6'' one piece in a medium action tip with a strong backbone. also a spiing pole. I just wanna try to build one, i KNOW it won't compair to a gator and i look forward to when i get out of college and can buy from him. but as of right now i just want a hobby. i need the steps, ground up. thanks!

9. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    The best thing to do is go out and buy a book on rod building. There are several out there, haven't looked lately so don't know the name, that aren't too complicated. Gator makes his living off building custom rods, so it may be imposing to ask him for step by step instructions. None of the books I've seen are difficult or expensive, good investment.

10. choran

choran New Member

State:
    California
    I started building my own rods a little over a year ago, and can't stop!
    It is a fine hobby. With a bit of perserverance and research, you can actually build all of the rod-building tools you'll need yourself, including simple drying motors, a rod-wrapping jig, and so forth. Rodbuilding.org
    has a great photo gallery of jigs and tools guys have made. I highly recommend giving it a try. The first rod is hard, and it gets 1000% easier from there.
    Chuck