Rod builders...

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by boombalaty, Jun 28, 2009.

1. boombalaty

boombalaty New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I just got this cool old rod given to me by my grandpa this weekend and I want to rebuild the rod with new guides. I am looking for advice on what I will need to do this( thread epoxy guides etc). There is so many different types of materials out there I am not sure what to use. I will probably also rebuild the reel at some point but it seems to work good. Thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

2. boombalaty

boombalaty New Member

State:
    Kansas
    2 more

Attached Files:

3. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    Flamekeeper has a thread on here that shows what to do, or just PM him. Kenny will help in any way he can. He make some of the best rod I have seen.

4. boombalaty

boombalaty New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Thanks. I have looked at his posts and even got the name of a supplier from him. Iam just not too sure what types of stuff I should buy. The rod is solid fiberglass and seems strong. I can put a good pull on it and it doesnt make any cracking sounds so I think it would be a nice rod with a new finish, guides and thread. I am also going to refinish the handle.

5. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    If it aint broke, dont fix it.:wink::smile2:
    Id keep it original if there is nothing wrong with it, especially since it was a gift from your Grandpa.
    But if it needs repair, then Kenny is the man you want to talk to.

6. boombalaty

boombalaty New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Its really not broke but the guides are old and rough and the thread looks very brittle and weak. Id hate to loose a good fish cause a few guides break off or have my line cut by them old rusty guides!:wink:

7. arkrivercatman

State:
    KS
    I have a 14' one piece Fenwick that I got after my Dad passed away. I cant use it for fear of something happening to it. I would never forgive myself. I have it hangin up with pride to remember him by.
    He redone the guides on it but he just used regular epoxy and braided limb line. Doesnt look the greatest. but it worked great. Simple and functional.:wink:
    Him and that rod caught more fish than I ever will.:cool2:

8. Tuttlecat

Tuttlecat Active Member

State:
    Wamego, Kansas,
    Hang it up and get another rod to fish with!!:wink:

I agree with Kyle, that dude is irreplaceable. Old rods are neat.

9. boombalaty

boombalaty New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Well it wasnt my grandpas rod and reel. someone gave it to him. But you guys may be right. It is pretty cool and he did give it to me, he wont be around forever so Maybe ill just clean it up and hang it on the wall. Grandpa taught me all I know about fishing. It was really good to see him with a fishing pole in hand this weekend! Knowing him he would just say " Thats a good pole ... the wall aint no place for it!"

Attached Files:

10. Backlashed

Backlashed New Member

State:
    Derby, Kansas
    I agree, if you have any sentimental attachment to it at all, hang it on the wall.
    There are lots of modern rigs available that would probably cost you less to buy, than it would be to rebuild that one. I have my Grandpa's old steel rod & Southbend baitcaster, that I wouldn't change or part with for anything.

11. boombalaty

boombalaty New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I think you guys are right. That is a good idea and I have a good spot on the wall for it!

12. arkrivercatman

State:
    KS
    Definately leave it unchanged.
    I dont have any grandparents left and I lost my dad 3 years ago. I would give anything to go fishin with him again.
    Enjoy your time fishin with him while you can, and let him know how much you appreciate all that he taught you.

Here is a pic of my ol man redoin an old river rod. He never had a chance to finish it before he died. I am goin to finish it this winter and fish the hell outta of it.
    I could never use the Fenwick though. They dont make em anymore and the sentimental value is priceless.
    It still has the same line and the same knots that my Dad tied on it. It will stay that way.

Attached Files:

13. bigd4xman

bigd4xman New Member

State:
    Haysville, KS
    I just got done rebuilding my grandpas old river rod, everything but the handle is finished, tied the eyes on with new thread, had to strip some old paint off so it was down to bare fiberglass, and recoated it with a lacquer varnish like it would have been from the factory, This rod is a monster at 10ft in length and handles whatver you throw at it, I mostly used it at the dam in the past as it is very solid down low but has a fast tip. Next is my dads river rod that is very similiar, it will get the same treatment as well. Both my Dad and my Grandpa have been gone for some time but I think they would want me to keep using them as long as I can and thats what I will do, FISH THE CRAP OUT OF THEM WITH PRIDE!

14. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    I,d just hang it on the wall and say to myself hope one day i can fish like grand pa did!!!!!

15. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    I see old school rods like harnells,calstars,etc... get overhauled all the time.

You can buff up the guides with a scotchbrite and rubbing compound, then shine -em up good with jewelry cleaner and If the thread is not busted, again just buff with a scotchbrite and put a fresh coat of High Build Flex Coat UtraV wrapping Finish over them and clean up the Handle and your good to go. It will look like new.

Fish it,,Thats what they were made for, and your Grampa will be smiling big time when he sees the fish you caught with it..:wink:

16. River Outlaw

River Outlaw New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas,
    not to change the subject but i figgered i'd show pics of Leelands new rig Dad got him for his b-day

Attached Files:

17. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Thats sweet JJ. :big_smile:

18. Backlashed

Backlashed New Member

State:
    Derby, Kansas
    I bet Leeland is proud of that one. Tell him Happy B Day.

19. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
  20. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    pretty cool old pole matt id leave it. or maybe brighten it up alittle like kenny said.

JJ are you shure that pole is for the LITTLE kid, looks like hed fall over holding it out without a fish :smile2: everyone keep an eye out to see who uses it more lol. those little kids ugly sticks at cabelas are pretty sweet and alittle more kid sized lol thats pretty cool though he'll grow into it.:wink: