Rod broke like a pretzel

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by primitive, Dec 26, 2007.

1. primitive

primitive Member

State:
    Dav. Ia.
    Grandson got a new graphite rod for Xmas and since I'd never looked one over, I was holding it and with my left hand, bowed the tip down three or four inches as a small fish would do and " ping " the tip broke about a foot from the tip. I really felt bad and everybody gasped like " what did you do?"
    I know any healthy two pound fish would have bent a lot more than I did but I still felt bad. I tried to reassure him the two year warrenty would ( should) replace it and I really did him a favor, breaking it now rather him breaking it on the Boundery Waters next summer.Hope GM replaces it with out any problems. I have seen guys really put rods to the test in the stores before buying them. Bad Grampa.:sad2:

2. Gordhawk

Gordhawk New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Hey Ron,
    What you been up to besides breaking your grandson's new fishing rod? Like you said,it's better that it broke like it did than when he had a fish on it. I believe I would check the next one out before I left the store. I just seen your post and thought I would give a shout out your way.

Happy New Year!

Glenn

3. Fellman

Fellman New Member

State:
    Philly MYK
    When shopping or browsing I always ask the clerk if I can test them out. Every Dicks Sporting Goods sales associate encouraged me to do so. I have put a couple rods though some testing. I this the sales guys were actually very interested in what the rods can hande. They told me if they had broke, they put it back in the box and send it back to the factory. So ask, test and don't be afraid.

4. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    I would say that rod had something going on before he got it.
    Personally I love the feel of graphite and the feel of a fish on graphite but they bruise easier then a glass rod.
    The more expensive the rod the more care they demand. They withstand the load a fish puts on them, they just cant hold up to being stepped on, car doors, drops, or anything that may crush the blank. Thats not where their strength is. They have a high tensile strength to weight ratio.

The cheaper high modulus blanks have some glass in them making them a little more abuse friendly then say the IM-8. High modulus would be your typical 39.95 graphite rod from Walmart. Nothing wrong with them. I've built and bought alot of high modulus over the years. Its a happy medium but not the king.

When you start getting up into blanks that cost 150+ without eyes, handles, and a reel seat, its a whole new world with a whole new set of demands for care.

Alot more care has to be given when building on graphite too. Wrapping too tight or not stoning the guide feet properly will lead to blank failure alot quicker then on glass.

5. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Hey Grandpa no Prune juice for you....Lol...... My guess is you put to much stress on the tip and snapped it. I just broke my rod that I have been using for two years two weeks ago. It could be as Mark J mentioned it could of had a small nick or recieved a small bruise on it some how that could of weakened it. I believe the rod i just broke probably was already fatigued as I some times use it to launch 1 1/2 ounce weights when it can only really handle 3/4 ounce. The very same rod I caught a large carp with about three months ago and rod was almost doubled over. Its possible that could of stressed it but who knows. I would be careful testing rods in the smaller bait shops if one happens to break the owner might not be a happy camper....LoL:angry:

6. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    What was the brand name of the rod?

7. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Over weighting a rod will definately shorten its lifespan.
    Graphite is totally different then fiberglass and has to be treated different.
    Doesnt mean one over the over is better unless you like feel and lightweight.
    Then the only choice is graphite.

I used to go to country store /baitshop years ago one night a week to have a reel repair clinic.
    The store was owned by a woman that looked like Lou Lou on HeeHaw.
    Resturant of some kind in the store and on premesis beer drinking.

One night she hollered over to me and asked me to help so and so pick out a rod. He was going to the coast the next morning spot fishing.

I picked one up and handed it to the drunk staggering fella and he took it and bent it in half. SNAP!
    He said that one sucked didnt it. Yep it sure did pardner, here try this one.
    SNAP! That one aint no good either. Nope looks like we might be half the night and the whole rack to find you good un there hoss. Might even have to call the tackle supplier in for a midnight run. Try this one.
    SNAP!
    After the about the 5th one Lou Lou snapped out of flirting with some alcoholic greaser that weighed 120 holding a 20 pound anchor and started raising cane.:smile2:
    He bought one rod that he left with. I told him it would be OK for spot but try to avoid sharks and alcohol.:smile2:

8. CatAngler

CatAngler New Member

State:
    Omaha NE

It happens, I'm sure it was defective before you ever touched the rod.

J

9. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    Just get him a nice reel to go with it, that should cheer him up.

10. primitive

primitive Member

State:
    Dav. Ia.
    John, That rod came from Gander Mountain store, and seems it has the word Guide ----- on it, memory fails me.

11. ratkinson

ratkinson New Member

State:
    NY
    Might I suggest an Uglystick? Kids put a beating on a rod anyway.... I feel your pain, wouldn't trade spots at that moment for anything.

12. ratkinson

ratkinson New Member

State:
    NY
    Guide Series? That's their signature line they ought to replace that for sure.

13. rspd507

rspd507 New Member

State:
    Rising Sun,IN
    Ron,
    I'm sure you feel bad, but I dont believe it was your fault at all. I agree with some of the other opinions here, that the rod was defective before it ever made it into your hands.As you said, Its better to have broke now, than when he has his personal best on the line. Don't sweat it, they will replace it and all will be well. rspd507

14. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    There are a couple of ways to test a rod. The best is to attach a reel to it with fishing line and then grab the line and pull it down like a fish would do. This is how the rod is designed to function. Another way to test a rod is to hold it (butt end) in your hand and place it on the floor (guides and eye up) and bent it.

My first retirement job was working in a hunting and fishing store in Denver and we saw many ways that you could break a rod. Pickup trucks appear to be the worst enemy of fishing rods. They get caught in the doors, seat closing down on them and the tail gate doing damage while being transported. Also, letting your rods lay flat down in a boat while you are under way (you should store them upright in your boat). There are some that are crushed slightly (you would not even notice it upon inspection with your eyes) during tranfer from the wholesaler to the retail outlet. Last but not least, a good way to break a rod is to hold the butt end in your hand and bend the tip down (snap).

If it is a Guide Series Rod I would take it back to Gander Mtn. with your receipt and tell them what happen. Don't wait to take this action, do it as soon as possible.

15. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
  16. Coyote1

Coyote1 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Brother Richard;
    I have to agree with MarkJ and the others in that I too feel there was something WRONG with the ROD BEFORE you got ahold of it!
    The company or dealer, should stand behind it and replace the rod too!
    Also, one of the Brother's mentioned those Shakespeare Rods and I agree on that too in that those Ugly Stiks take a lot of abuse and would, I believe, be a good start for a beginning Grandson. :big_smile:
    MarkJ is also correct in that the more money those graphite blanks cost the more "delicate" you have to be with them otherwise it's real easy to snap, break, ruin, a $270.00 to $335.00 or more rod!
    In addition, I also agree with several of the Brothers in that you actually DID do your Grandson a favor because if he is disappointed now, think how upset he would be with a personal best Blue on his line and then have the rod break! That would be a tragedy in itself!!
    If you need it, PM me and I will donate a sawbuck toward the purchase of a new rod for the young man. :big_smile:
    In the end, I know you will do the right thing. And there is a lesson in this for your Grandson. Now he knows that just because something is new, does not mean it won't break!:wink: That's a lesson that many adults have yet to learn!!
    "Thank You" for sharing with us.
    Sincerely and Fraternally,
    Coyote1
    [[[[End of Post]]]]]

17. primitive

primitive Member

State:
    Dav. Ia.
    Since I started this thing I checked in yesterday and they had not returned the rod yet. I got the reciept and took it back. Gander Mountain replaced it, no questions asked. I did update it to a Ugly Stick, he will have to slam the car door on that to break it, which he'll probably do. Anyway, I feel better, the boy should feel better and Gander Mnt. was great about it. Thanks.

18. cathouse

cathouse New Member

State:
    NY
    i have had rods purchased from gander on a couple of occasions and they did well by me on both rods no questions asked .