Rod bells

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by goneflatheadin, Jul 1, 2009.

1. goneflatheadin

goneflatheadin New Member

State:
    cullman al
    Does anybody else use rod bells for bank fishing? I bought some of those bells at bass pro shop with the clamp on them, I tore the clamp off and threaded a swivel through it and placed the swivel through the last eye of my rods, works good when your night fishing, the bell will ring before the clicker react's . when you fish three or four rod's like I do , and like to talk about that big one that got away, It helps to draw your attention when you get a bite.

2. CatHunterSteve

CatHunterSteve New Member

State:
    Snowville, Va
    I use them in the boat as well as from shore. Haven't tried the swivle thing but thats for the suggestion, I have losst a few of them over the years. Typically take the bell off at the first sign of a bite but when you get one of those hit it and run for the other side of the river bites you don't have a chance to take the bell off and they flip off sometimes when setting the hook. Thanks for the question!

3. azcataholic

azcataholic New Member

State:
    arizona
    I use the bells generally shore fishing, sometimes I have added a light on the rod tip. Since they generally bite when you doze off an early warning signal with the bell helps. I have also had slack line near the reel and put the bell on the line there, that way you can remove the bell without getting up. This works for still water and bluegill will ring the bell when they are on the run from a catfish!:roll_eyes:

4. cathooked

cathooked New Member

State:
    north carolina
    I got tired of buying at wally world,so i started makin my own with bells from the craft section and allegator(sp) clips if i sling one to china i got back ups in the tackle box,if ya make any use barrel swivles to attach 2 bells,they work great.....

5. lookin_4_moby

lookin_4_moby New Member

State:
    Guthrie, OK
    i use them all the time for the poles that I decide to tight line with. i like to put them on one pole and have my clicker on the other so I can tell the difference in which pole is getting a bite when its dark out or if I walk away checkin outa new spot or something. great for tightlining

6. biglope

biglope New Member

State:
    Kansas
    With my clicker I know when I am getting a bite no need for a bell here.

7. hereflattieflattie

hereflattieflattie New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I use the bells sometimes when Im using circle hooks. If Im using regular J-hooks, I use my clicker so the fish can run with it a bit before I set the hook. With Circles, its best to lock the reel and let the fish hook itself so the bells come in handy so you can get your rod before it goes shooting into the water..LOL

8. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    When the bite is on and you happen to be with a few people and multiple rods, i found that mixing in a bell or two on a few rods can help with confusion of which rod is sounding off especially when they are spread out and its dark outside bank fishing

9. fmb

fmb New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    I use them all the time.......even daytime fishing nothing grabs your attention like them bells going off

10. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    no we use glowsticks, them bells are ok, but if i want to hear a sound, i got a cliker