rod bases. anyone make their own?

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSOURI TALK' started by joer, Jan 16, 2009.

1. joer

joer New Member

State:
    columbiaMo
    I'm thinking of constructing my own driftmaster rod bases. Has anyone attempted to make them? And if so what should I do different or like the originals? I want to make the 'flatrail' bases. Does anyone have the dimensions to the 1/2 inch threaded 'flatrail' base??? I will be using aluminum....help please!

2. jms43

jms43 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Let us know how it goes. I'm sure it would be quite a bit cheaper to do it yourself.

3. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    You would think a square block with a 3/8" threaded hole in the middle and two smaller holes on the end for attachment would work.

4. joer

joer New Member

State:
    columbiaMo
    We made these bases out of aluminum and they work! I used JODY25's help since he's the machinist and engineer. I will try to post some pics of them this week.

5. BobbyLee

BobbyLee New Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohio
    I just use the 3/8 in. ceiling flanges that Lowes sells. About $1.50 a piece.

6. jlcperformance

jlcperformance New Member

State:
    moberly, missouri
    i live here in moberly and we own a tool and die shop (machine shop) so if any of u guys wanna build some cool stuff or anything just come on up. im always ready to do some engineering and build some cool stuff just make sure u bring plenty of beer for when we get done. haha. let me know if u guys come up with some good ideas.

7. duckalot

duckalot Well-Known Member

State:
    Missouri
    I made my own bases. They are thicker than standard witch I don't mind at all! Mine are the Pro series, so they are a standard 1/2 thread, and I welded them to my rod rack.
    Rob'
    [​IMG]

8. catfishscotty

catfishscotty Well-Known Member

State:
    mo
    ive made mine also im not paying 3 to 8 bucks just for a base thats just crazzy i think ,

I took 1/2 x 13 heavy hex nuts and welded them to a 1/8 inch 2 x 4 plate and they fit the top side of my boat edge great ,

then on front of my back deck took a piece of angle iron that fit from one side all the way to the other side and welded the same nuts all across it around 6 i think and screwed it to the back deck

basically what uou see on the pro cat .

about 11 rod holder bases on my boat ,,did all this for under 5 bucks :wink:

instead op paying 3 to 8 bucks just for 1 ...

Im a welder and had the metal ,, If you dont have a welder just find your material you want from scrap yard , or hard ware store , and most muffler shops could weld the nuts on for ya really cheap :wink:.

If ya dont want to paint them , use stainless material and stainless nuts .

all kinds of ways to do this !!!!!!!!

gl man .

9. catfishscotty

catfishscotty Well-Known Member

State:
    mo
    heres a pic of some of the set up