Rod And Reel

Discussion in 'LOCAL ARIZONA TALK' started by somozajc, Oct 31, 2008.

1. somozajc

somozajc New Member

State:
    arizona
    Hey guys! I'm new to this blog and to fishing. I think that everything you fishing guys talk about is so interesting. I can't thank you guys enough for all the usefull information I have gathered in the last few weeks, it has helped me and my kids out a lot. I just had one question, I'm planning to buy a Rod and Reel just for my catfishing and wanted to know what route I should take? I mainly fish in Patagonia Lake so the fish available are channel catfish and flathead. So if you can lead me in the right direction on what rod, reel, and line I should buy, I would most appreciate it. I would love to catch something big so I can have a cool avatar like you pros out there in northern AZ. Thanks

2. azcataholic

azcataholic New Member

State:
    arizona
    Welcome Carlos, You certainly came to the right place to get hooked up on catfish here. Good Luck!

3. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    If you can use a conventional reel, I would say the Abu Garcia ambassadur is the best, hands down... YOu can pick up one up at Wally world for around $50 bucks... I bought a Record last year and it is my favorite. (Around $120)

* Pen has a good level wind reel as well for around $50

~ I would pair each of these reels up with an Ugly stick med heavy...

* If you like spinning reels, check out the Shimmano Bait runners.. I have a few of those I like to use when there is a lot of current, Or I am using a large live bait like a common carp.. You can adjust the tension on the bait click so the bait, or current does not take line...

~A

4. somozajc

somozajc New Member

State:
    arizona
    When you mean a conventional reel, is that a bait casting reel, or a closed spinning reel?

5. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    Conventional is like a bait casting reel...

** When you go out shopping for a new cat rig, get what ever you are comfortable with... As long as it can hold a few hundred yards of some tuff line and you can cast heavy baits, that is what you should get...

* It would suck trying to learn how to use something new when the fish of a lifetime is on the other end...

~A

6. Da Chummer

Da Chummer New Member

State:
    Arizona
    As always, solid advice chief. :cool2:

7. mankind

mankind New Member

State:
    ashland ky
    to star get something you can handle that way you can fish more than cuss:wink::roll_eyes::smile2:

8. badams

badams New Member

State:
    california
    Carlos. Its pretty much a matter of what any one person prefers.
    Heres a couple my preferences. For reels I like to use either a Penn Jigmaster or Squidder. They are conventional reels which take a little practice in using them. I guess they would be considered light to medium duty salt water reels? They have fairly fast gear ratios and hold a considerable amount of 15 -20 pound test line. I'm also partial to my Penn model 650 saltwater spinning reel. It has some balls but isnt too large to be cumbersome.5/1 gear ratio and also holds about 250 or 300yards of 15 pound test line. Though Ugly Sticks and other name brand rods are great they can also be expensive. I've had good luck with no name rods or maybe a good un bought cheap at a swap meet. Either way I always prefer about a 7'.5" pole that has a bit of girth down by the reel seat and a sensitive small tip on it. They give you some back bone for the big uns but give some good whip for long casts and are sensitive to when you're getting a bite and dont have a finger on the line. Others opinions will vary and these are just my likes in a fishing rig.

9. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Carlos,

That is a 64,000 dollar ?. Here is some of the things u need to think about.

Bank fishing
    Boat fishing
    Your target fish
    usually a yellow cat comb is a little much for a channel cat . It hard to get an all around set up
    then what are you comfortable with ( bait caster are spinning
    Bait casters are are most common for the cat fisherman
    boat fishing med. heavy 7 to 8 ft
    bank fishing 9 to 14 ft depending on how you fish
    line size most preferred is power pro 65# bread and 30# big game mono
    hope this helps and good luck

10. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Hi ,
    You'll probably be like the rest of us soon!:eek:oooh: Have a small tackle store in your garage...
    Something I didn't know for awhile was that usually on the rods, there's some information written on them , just forward of the handle that gives , action type, lure weights, and line weight.. more or less.
    A lot of reels, spinning or baitcasting have similar information,, YDS/weight.
    so, If you match up the ability of the reel to the rod, you're off to a good start.
    Then there's line ,,,,
    IF you're used to spincast, you can get some real good ones. Or baitcast for sure.
    Learning to use either type is a bit more complex than the typical spincast.
    To keep it interesting for kids, keep it simple,,, not so much for them , but, for you!!!..
    I've been having good results with Abu Garcia and Daiwa reels , both spincast, and baitcast.
    Enjoy,

11. lonny

lonny New Member

State:
    az

howdy and welcome aboard.my favorite reels are baitcasters,i like the abu garcias,5500,6000,i've heard the the 6500c3,is a great reel,gonna get one someday all need to have clickers.i like rods med heavy to heavy,when you hook a tank you'll know why.line is no less then 50 lb spiderwire,i like this line very well.one thing about flathead fishing.they teach me something everytime i go out.i fish for them year round.there eating and growing year round.so i never quit chaseing them.good luck,an teach them kids how to fish.

12. bigfisher17

bigfisher17 New Member

State:
    arizona
    it depends if u like baitcasters or open face reels i have 4 set up 2 baitcasters r penn jigmasters and penn heavy action pole and my 2 open faces r phlueger president and abu garcia 6500 series. but like azflats says its what u feel good with and what your willing 2 spend

13. badams

badams New Member

State:
    california
    Yeah I guess you would need some good 50 pound line to catch some of the gob stoppers ya'll fish for? That aint no little one that you're hefting in that picture Hillbilly.

14. somozajc

somozajc New Member

State:
    arizona
    I wanted to highlight everybodys qoute to thank all of you for the usefull information. I've been using the open face spincast and I'm pretty comfortable with it. I do have a baitcasting reel my buddy gave me, its an old one but it works, not big enough for 50lb line though. Good for light fishing. And for the kids they have the closed spincasting reels. They do pretty good on those. I actually had time this Sunday to take them fishing. My oldest boy was the only one with luck, he caght 3 largemouth bass. Two tiny ones and one that measured 11 inches and weighed a little over a pound. The kids had a blast and i had a blast just watching them fishing. Right after we left they asked when we were going back. Great Family time!

So thanks to all of you for you great expertizzzze!!!! My family appreciates the knowledge.