Rod and reel ?

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by g.kempf, Apr 22, 2007.

1. g.kempf

g.kempf New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I'm gonna be getting a new rod and reel for flatties this year and I need a little advise. I need a setup that is gonna be tough enough to horse them in, the river I fish has alot of structure in it. And It is real tough to get them through it. I'm talking about 20 to 40 pound fish if that helps.

2. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    If that is your spin rod in the photo backround? IF it is spin that u r looking for go with a 90 size Okuma Reel with as low of a gear ratio u can find. They too make the "Longitude" Rod in a 3-8 oz lure weight

This is based on the info that u passed to us.

:big_smile:

3. g.kempf

g.kempf New Member

State:
    Iowa
    That's not mine in the pic but I do have a real heavy uglystik spinning setup. I would just much rather have a baitcaster, I feel more comfortable with them.

4. Catfish_John1979

Catfish_John1979 New Member

State:
    Dayton, Ohio, U
    My Suggestion would be a abu big game 7000... on a ugly stick tiger m/h action... with atleast 30lb test ... i use the same setup.. adn i got hung on a submerged log... it was 6inches round.. and about 5 ft long.. and with that setup i pulled it in to the bank... thought i had a monster flattie.. lol... didnt touch the setup.. its a wench.. lol

john

5. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    my rod is a home made one i built myself.my reel is a penn 209.i have it spooled with 65 lb.power pro.with this set up i can really put a hurting on big fish.the only draw back i can see is realing in when you are changing baits or missed a fish.at this time i kind of wish i had a 7000 just for the speed of retreving.but when you have a big fish on and realy bear down you like the power of that slow going.

6. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    you need a blue cat #3 made by the rod shop in kc and an Abu garcia 7000 c3i

7. cathouse

cathouse New Member

State:
    NY
    Well i have to chime in on this one i am sure there are many great rods that could handle this but i can only speek on what i know , tiger rod medium or medium hvy and the penn 209 low gearing makes it a winch for sure and the rod was designed for much bigger fish in salt water , price wise you may be out of $100.00 bucks if you get the reel of ebay . Now im not endorsing any thing but both have been proven in the fishing arena but you could just as easily put the reel of your choice on the rod both abus and penns have there place but the rod has been landing monsters of the blue since the mid 80's and to my limited knowledge and is still a rod by which others are judged to me that speeks volumes .

8. ohio catfisherman

ohio catfisherman New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i would suggest a ugly stick tiger mh 30-60 paired up with a abu garcia 7000ic3

9. g.kempf

g.kempf New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Thanks for the info. guys I think I'm pretty set on the uglystik tiger and the abu 7000 reel. And I'm pretty sure I want braided line but is there a brand out there that doesnt groove out the rod guides?

10. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    rite now all braids and mono will leave groves in your rod guides.the only thing i know that want is the old fasion braided nylon like we used in the 50s and 60s.if you have some full rolls of it pm me we might make a deal.

11. JAYNC

JAYNC New Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    get a Tsunami medium heavy spinning rod, haven't found a better boat rod yet, pair it up with a shimano 6500 baitrunner and you can horse in whatever you want wheather its 20-40lb flats in ohio or 70-80lb flats more south. No fish yet has even begun to stress this set up for me and I am very close to the 60lb mark.