Rod and Reel Tactics for Pee Dee River

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by NCCatter, Mar 30, 2006.

1. NCCatter

NCCatter Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I have been fishing the Pee Dee above Blewett Falls for about 2 years now and seem to do well on jugs. Lots of fish in the 5 to 15 lb. range. However, we usually don't do too well on rod and reel. We fish on the bottom with rods but jugs are usually ranging from 5 to 12' off bottom. Any suggestions? Trot lines and limb lines work well in spring and summer as well.

2. bmastiff

bmastiff New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Hey NCCatter
    Where do you fish, you put in at 109 bridge or blewett landing?
    I usually fish at 109 bridge, the problem is catching the water right. I fish with bream on the bottom with 4 r&r if the water is moving to fast you need to find eddies and dropoffs. if the rivers high enough i've had a lot of luck at the mouth of the rocky river. let me know if i can help anymore
    Carl

3. NCCatter

NCCatter Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Thanks for your help
    Where is the Rocky River?
    I usually put in a Blewett Landing right behind the bait store off 74.
    The biggest fish I have ever caught is 20# and I think it was by accident. LOL

4. bmastiff

bmastiff New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    rocky river is about 6 miles up river from 109 bridge. you can't make it there from blewett landing.
    Do you go up around grassy island or do you stay mainly in the lake?
    I've had pretty good luck aroung the islands but allways seem to do better when i put in at the 109 bridge. The problem with putting in there is the river needs to be high or you can't go very far, to many rocks. allthough i have caught some nice cat right there at the landing.

5. NCCatter

NCCatter Member

State:
    North Carolina
    You talking about the landing on Grassy Island road as being Rocky River?
    If so, then I know EXACTLY where you talking about. I used to leave from there and go out into the river up to where Little River comes in, but I can't now because they are putting in a new ramp and have it closed (been closed for 2 months now). I have never been to 109 bridge. Don't have a clue how to get there. Hey I have also talked to alot of people that fish below Blewett dam. They have pretty good luck, but I am not going to chance the rocks.

6. bmastiff

bmastiff New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    hey daniel
    not sure where grassy island landing is, is it on Rockingham side of river?

109 landing is where 109 crosses the the river about 10 miles north of Wadesboro going towards Mount Gilead, the landing is on south side of river.
    I havent been there this year but last year it was muddy, although the ramp is concrete you still might need 4wd. hasent been much rain yet so it might not be that bad.

7. NCCatter

NCCatter Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Mastiff,
    I am talking about a ramp about 5 miles up the lake from Blewett Falls landing. So that cant' be rocky river. Anyway they fixed the landing (it's on Grassy Island Road) so I can access the river from there. If you look at a topo map of the river (mytopo.com) you can see the river makes a 90 degree turn to the right coming from 109 towards BF. I fish about 3 or 4 miles down from that right turn. It's exactly where Little River comes into the bigger river. Caught some nice ones there in the past, but I imagine some better ones come in that hard turn up above where we fish.

8. bmastiff

bmastiff New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Daniel
    I see where your talking about now i didn't know that landing was there.
    So it on the richmond county side of the river right?
    what the depth of river there is there a lot of rocks to contend with when the rivers low?

9. NCCatter

NCCatter Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Yea it's on Richmond side.
    when you leave the ramp go under the bridge and follow the slough a couple hundred yards. then it comes out to the river and you turn right. After you go a mile or so you can see the water starting to boil and roll because of the rocks. The rock field is about 100-150 yards long but if you tilt your motor all the way up till your prop is just under water and go at idle speed, you should make it with only a few bumps. I tore the lower unit out of mine last year. You just have to look for rocks and go really slow. The good thing about that place though is that you are going up river first so when you come back you can pull your motors up and go with the current over the rocks. After the rock field Little River is prolly a mile from there.

10. bmastiff

bmastiff New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Thanks Daniel, I'm planing on going to the river Thursday if nothing comes up. "works been hectic lately" :mad: I'll let you know how it goes.

11. NCCatter

NCCatter Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Hey I am thinkin bout goin up there to Grassy Islands Friday if I can't get anyone to go with me to Cape Fear. Just don't want to manage the pontoon by myself up there. If I go to Grassy Islands I'll have my jon boat. Went to the lake Sat. night and got skunked. Talked to another guy who usually does pretty good but he's been catching nothing with 50 jugs! Anyway, I'm thinking about going on the river and trying them, I'm done with the lake. Good Luck and let me know how it goes.

12. bigcatwannabe

bigcatwannabe New Member

State:
    rowland, nc
    hey dan, im thinkin about carryin the jonny's up to the grassy islands this weekend, just gotta find out if i gotta work saturday, maybe we can find us a spot

13. NCCatter

NCCatter Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Aight, what about Saturday? Dunno what I'm gonna do about Friday yet. Let me know.

14. djenk16

djenk16 New Member

State:
    NC
    I'm trying to find out how bad the rocks are at the 109 landing and if you go slow how far you can get down the river.Also how do you find out the water levels I live about 2 hours away and any info would be appreciated.

15. ncriverrat

ncriverrat New Member

State:
    Trinity, NC
    there is some awsome flathead fishing up there! i fish below the dam! but like carl said it very shallow and will kill a boat! far as the rod and reel tackle goes! i would try a over sized carolina rig with live blue gills! i used 20lb to 30lb. berkley big game evexpensive but strong as my (main line) about a 2oz. egg sinker and a 50lb. mono leader with a barrel swivel and a 8 to 10/0 circle hook!!!! fish some shallow flats with lots of stumps or rocks! you gonna lose some rigs, but like i always say, if you aint getting hung you aint flathead fishing!! but thats just my preference! hope this help ya! and good luck!! im more familiar in the river below the dam!

16. mycat

mycat New Member

State:
    winston sa
    NC Catter Where you are putting in on Grassie Il. rd. is mountain creek landing.

17. djenk16

djenk16 New Member

State:
    NC
    I'm going to give it ago in the morning I hope the water is up and not too muddy.