Rod and Reel Regs. For Boat Anglers!!!

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by catfishrollo, Nov 12, 2009.

1. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I personally think Ohio should up the rod and reel limit from 2 to more, but really think they should make it unlimited for boat anglers. The average boat angler only takes up a small portion of water compared to someone who could line a public waterway with poles for many yards. Not taking anything away from bank fisherman. I bank fish also! But, it doesn't make much sence to me why we can't have a double law allowing a certain amount for bankfishing, to give anglers adequate space still to fish an area, and the boat fishermen should be allowed to tend as many as he or she can handle! Think about it, Boat fishermen don't crowd bank fishermen usually, and don't crowd other boats on the water either usually! So it doesn't interfere with the equalness of the sport. Trotlining and limblining takes up as much space as anything over area, and is not needed to be attended to. So, what would be the difference? If a boat or bank fisherman needs to be able to tend, so be it! But, I know I can tend many more rods from bank and boat than just two!:wink: Just my opinion and thought!!! rollo

Last edited: Nov 12, 2009
  2. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Rollo, check your PM's

Salmonid

3. varmint_sniper

varmint_sniper New Member

State:
    OHIO
    i think we all need the same rules to abide by why should others get special treatment just cuz you can afford a boat and i cant? aint right no matter how you look at it ..sniper

4. rockbass

rockbass New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I know they proposed upping the limit of rods. I have been stopped 2 times on lakes for a survey. one question was if I would be for or against increasing the rod limit to 3 per person. I said heck yes. The guy taking the survey's told me that everyone he has talked to said yes or they didn't care. he said bankfisherman have said yes, and bass fishermen said they didn't care since they only used one at a time anyway.

I do have a boat, but I don't think boats should be allowed more than bankfishermen. I do find it strange that juggers/liners can have so many lines/jugs. I know of a few of these heralded flattie fishermen that do actually line the banks with rods once they get to their spots. 10-16 rods for 2-3 people is a bit overkill to me.
    The 2 rod limit didn't stop a Muskie fisherman I saw at Salt Fork last Friday. had 4 or 5 rods as once trolling by himself. I could only see 4 of the lines hitting the water for sure

Let's face it.......If someone wants to use more than 2 rods they will. I will on occasion toss out a 3rd rod when I'm fishin. I think the limits will go up. Just don't think it should be by much.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2009
  5. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    well said Rocky, we have an antiquated rod limit on the books. It does nothing to enhance the fishing pleasure of bank or boat fishermen in this fine state.
    I think, and most normal americans think, that you should gain status and recognition thru hard work and "time on the water". If you are too lazy to go out and find and catch fish under sporting conditions why should a few of you be able to limb and trot, our prefered fish out of exsistance, just because there are no laws stricty preventing it?

6. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    That would depend on the reasoning for the law. If the reason they limit it to two is because they are afraid of people taking up an entire river bank spreading poles everywhere then it would make sense to have different rules for boats, since a boat is going to take up the same area regardless of how many poles they are fishing. If the rule was made for some other reason then it would not be fair to bank fisherman to have different rules. I could see both sides, I guess it just depends on the reason for the rule. In my honest opinion I think the reason for the rule is so they have something else to ticket you for.

7. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    I have spoken and written to the state several times on this topic. My reasoning has always been simply this. The state has creel limits. Why should they care how fast a fisherman gets to those limits. Limiting the amount of rods is overkill. Secondly, it makes sense, especially in these challenging economic times that allowing more rods per angler means more dollars to retailers meaning more tax dollars to the state. I don't think that boat fishermen should have different rules than bank fishermen. Too much room for interpretation in my opinion. If my boat is nosed into the shore, I do not have to run lights because I am not technically boating. If my boat is nosed to shore, how many rods should I be allowed to use?

8. BassMassey

BassMassey Well-Known Member

State:
    Oconee
    I like to fish as many as possible, can fish up to 8 on the boat if anchor fishin, only 3 or 4 if driftin......and as many as possible when bankin' it.....

Attached Files:

• 025.jpg
      025.jpg
      File size:
      18.2 KB
      Views:
    • 003.jpg
      003.jpg
      File size:
      25.7 KB
      Views:
  9. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Who is the wilderbeast?:smile2::wink: rollo

10. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Shawn,, that's the way I was thinking,, we have a creel limit,, Should be as many as you want... especially for catfishing..

Here in AZ, we have to buy a stamp for the 2nd rod,,,I wouldn't even mind being able to buy more 2 pole stamps,, if they just gotta have the revenue..

Aaron, cool looking pics, thanks for sharing!!!

Last edited: Nov 13, 2009
  11. BassMassey

BassMassey Well-Known Member

State:
    Oconee
    lol.....buddy down the way from me....he wanted a stringer of fish to clean so I took him out on the lake....

12. Joey6500

Joey6500 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    LOL.........

13. Pip

Pip New Member

State:
    pa
    This is a law a lot of state have setup. I personally don't agree with a 2 or 3 rod limit, bank or boat for catfishing. Creel limits I'm totally for. but the rod limits I question if not ignore. I might get blasted for this, but most of my fishing in the warmer month's is at night. I've never got checked in all my years when fishing at night. Most of those nights in Pa. or MD I'll have as many rods out as I see fit, which is usually closer to 4 to 8 rods. I guess If I ever get caught with that many out, I can't really say anything other then pay the fine and go about my business.

14. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Hi Pip,
    Yea, I hear what you're sayin'.. and, Up until last year,, I had never been checked,, , then at 12:30 one night, up rolls a game officer,, I was legal, of course, except that I was fishing in an incorrect area for my license,,Colorado river, Backwater area,, kinda of a grey area,, between CA/AZ,, he gave me a verbal and went on his way,,Nice guy,, but, I couldn't fish there until I got an out of state license for that particular area, which is fed from the water I'm licensed for??!! all tole, about $120.00 including the 2-pole stamp for the non-resident license.. GGGRRRrrrrrr

anyhow,, maybe the rod limit can be freed up some for catfishing,, Be nice IMO
    I don't really do any other type of fishing, other than bait, so, other fishermen may like the same consideration, but, I don't know.

15. smoothkip25

smoothkip25 New Member

State:
    ohio
    Nice pics man, first one looks like a few of my outings!:smile2: 15 rods and about 30 to 40 pounds of bait in the water!:big_smile:

16. Ben Noll

Ben Noll New Member

State:
    Ohio
    We all should be able to use as many as we can handle,except the Sman.He is only allowed to use one-

17. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    Actually, Skip should learn to noodle.... Cept there once was this gal named Ash.... said a certain noodle was.... uh.... well... like wet....Can a wet noodle noodle catfish?:eek:oooh:

18. Catfishboy1995

Catfishboy1995 New Member

State:
    Council Bluffs
    welll, You have a great point ill give you that, but i think that to many people would abuse that law..but maybe your right i dotn really know..like honestally how many rods can you comfartabaly fish on a boat...maybe a different law from rivers to lakes since no one fishes lakes to much and rivers you move a lot so people wouldnt use as many!!

19. Colsrob

Colsrob Active Member

State:
    Ohio, Columbus
    Personally, i'm fine with the 2 pole limit..even on my boat. On occasion though, I wouldn't mind a 3rd.

I have enough trouble if I happen onto a double. I could imagine that a triple would only be a lot worse. If worse is the proper word to describe hooking into 3 big cats at the same time.

If I do my research right, I should have no trouble in boating plenty of fish by just using 2 poles. Improper research, I figure I will just get skunked, no matter how many poles I have in the water.