Rod and reel question

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by sloenuf, Jan 13, 2007.

1. sloenuf

sloenuf New Member

State:
    cincinnati, ohio
    im about to piece together a new pole mostly for flatties and blues. im getting a 7' mh ugly stick tiger. i have seen a few people talk about using a abu 6000 reel with it but i was wondering would a abu 6500 c3 be a better choice or would the 6000 be fine? thanks in advance for the help!

2. spanishcatman

spanishcatman New Member

State:
    United Kingdom
    I thought the only difference between the 6000 and the 6500 was left or right hand wind. Maybe that's only in Europe? What sort of casting weight are the tiger's? If they are what I think they are, you might be better with a 7000 size reel. It sounds big but cats can knock the guts out of reels pretty quickly, especially if you fish in a good flow. Abu 7000's last forever with the very ocasional bit of TLC!

3. sloenuf

sloenuf New Member

State:
    cincinnati, ohio
    well this set up isnt gonna be for the river or anything. its just gonna be for mostly pay lakes maybe a few big local ponds here an there also.

4. spanishcatman

spanishcatman New Member

State:
    United Kingdom
    Fair enough! I would say that a 6000 would be perfect then. No doubt there'll be some friendly disagreement... :big_smile:

5. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Nope, I don't dissagree at all. If those fish are TRAPPED in a Small Area, like a pay pond, you should be able to fight them with a 5000 with no problem!!! I don't fish Pay Ponds and don't like them.

6. sloenuf

sloenuf New Member

State:
    cincinnati, ohio
    i dont fish just pay ponds i go to state parks an everything too just not the river that much. i have no boat and i dont like fishing off the bank in the ohio cuz there isnt really a place to bank fish in downtown cincinnati.

7. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Hi Mark and Wecome to the BOC. You will love that Tiger Rod and the Abu 6000 will be great also. Good Reels,Almost Bullit proof with Proper care and will last a Lifetime. Good Question.If You have any others Just fire away OK.J.D.
    :0a23:

8. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    The 6000 or 6500 will serve you well, and handle the majority of your fishing needs. In Europe I don't know, but here the left handed retrieve ambassaduer's designated with the number being a one, 6001, 6501, or 7001 etc..

9. sloenuf

sloenuf New Member

State:
    cincinnati, ohio
    well i can get the 6000 at walmart for around $60 an the 6500 c3 is around $79 at bass pro... is the 6500 worth the extra money or will the 6000 hold up just fine? ive seen mixed posts about it an im just trying to have my mind made up before i go pick one up..

10. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Why ain;t you out fishing with that new reel?Hehehehe!The weather is no excuse.Brand new reel and the world freezes up.Story of my life.Looks like yours too.I love you brothers and sisters.peewee

11. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I use a Abu 6000 and I like mind, I think the 6000 will do just fine.

12. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Mark, If you plan on fishing flatheads for the rest of your life go with the 7000. Once you use one and start using big baits and weights you will love it and wonder why you ever questioned buying one. If you want to fish channel cats go ahead and get the 6500. I know you fish lakes now but in the future if you get into river fishing you'll save money in the long run.

13. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    The 6500 is an easier reel to cast and handle then the 7000, its smaller around, weighs less. It holds an adequate amount of line in the test strength you want for most catfishing, the new carbon matrix drag is very good. But, for big flatties and big blues, the 7000 may be the better choice. Maybe you should get one of the two now, another latter, that's what most of us do.

14. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    Check some of your local Wal-Mart stores for clearance priced reels -- I just bought two 6500CL3 (the Wally World version of the 6500C3) for $40 each at a Wal-Mart in St. Louis, still sealed in the original packages...

If not, I'd pay the $19 price difference and go with the 6500C3 - it's a smoother reel with bearings instead of bushings.

15. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    I'd go for the biggest you can afford... esp if your going to be putting heavy line on it... the larger they are the more line they hold... I'd love to have 7000's on my medium size rigs but i can't afford them... I personally like having the most line i can on the reel for the just in case fish... the one who wants to strip the line to 3 wraps before the knot before you get him under control. which still hasn't happened yet but i hope to get that soon

16. tnkatman

tnkatman New Member

State:
    Bluff City, TN
    Mark, The 6000 Should Be Fine. I Have A 6000 And 6500c3. I Really Like My 6000 It's The Reel I Learned How To Cast A Baitcaster With And I Use It Alot But If I Was You And Thinking Of Tackling Flatheads, I Would Get The 6500c3. Good Luck.

17. surfchunker

surfchunker New Member

State:
    maryland
    They are the same size reel ... the 6000 is the cheap Walmart version with just one antireverse bearing .... a 6500 C3 has that plus a bearing in each end of the spool .... the 6000 has bushings in each end .... 6500's casts farther ... last longer ... smoother ... well worth the difference .... same goes for the 5000-5500 .... ##01 is lefthanded reels ........

18. countrycat15

countrycat15 New Member

State:
    gastiona,nc
    i have 2 6000's that i got from walmart,they are very good reels for the money and they cast just fine.but i think i would go for the 6500c3 they have the new drag system and other upgrades that will make them last a life time.but which ever you choose i hope you catch many big fish on it.

btw-i fish payponds to,mostley for carp.so i think the 6000 would be a good choice to.

19. Tiny

Tiny New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    the difference between most 6000's compared to the 6500's is the design of the spool ... they're the same sized spool but the 6000 has a fixed spool shaft with a spindle just like the 7000's where the shaft is fixed solid to the spool ... the 6500's have what's known as ultracast spools that have the bearings in the spools or bushings or whatever they use ... the 6500c3 is ultracast spool with bearings ... the c models use bushings ... the 6000's have the bearings or bushings in the side plates instead of in the spool so it's just a design change from one to the other ... sometimes the added number means a difference in the retreive ... like the difference between the 7000c3 and the 7500c3 was 4.1:1 retreive for the 7000c3 and 5.3:1 for the 7500c3 ... this also came with different sized spool shafts as well as one spool wouldn't work on the other reel even though they were the same size ... the shaft that went through the dog gear is bigger round on one of them so they're not interchangeable. the letterings nd numbering changes are different from one model size to the next and you just have to take them apart sometimes to see the differences in them. there's not much of a performance difference in the spindle vs the ultracast but there is a tiny bit as the ones with the ultracast spool don't have to turn the hole spool shaft in order to function making for longer casts with the lighter spools. the biggest concern is the lubing of these reels ... if it's a bushing reel then it needs cared or more often than if it's a bearing type reel ... both need to be taken care of though ... putting them in a camera bag for transport is a big help in making them last a long time and not hauling them in the back of your vehicle bouncing around in the bed or out in the open in the boat ... taking them off the rods and placing them in camera bags will extend the life of the reel very dramatically by keeping that blowing dust and dirt out of the reels.

20. richard dunbar

richard dunbar New Member

State:
    Washington
    Use what ever your more comfortable with. A proper set drag on just about any reel will land you the bigguns