Rod and Reel Preference..

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by zivetor, Jan 30, 2007.

1. zivetor

zivetor New Member

State:
    Charleston, S.C.
    Okay, I hope I haven't worn your patience thin.. This won't be my last question, but it will be for tonight. Gotta get up early again..

What is your favorite rod and reel for catfishing for the BIG ONES and why?

I have all different kinds. So far I think my favorite is a tide water because I can make it click when a fish takes it. I like the bait caster kind. I also like spining reels. I have some abu garcia 6000. but I find it hard to hit the release button if I get a fish on it..

Thanks again..

Zivetor..

2. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

My favorite two combos would be the Abu 7000 on a 7 foot tiger, the yellow one and the 6500 on a 7 foot uglystick. My favorite spinning rig is a Daiwa Sealine 5050 on a 7 foot Big Game rod. I have a few more rigs but those are my favorites as of now.

3. fishman247

fishman247 New Member

State:
    north carolina
    my rod/reel of choice has to be an abu 6500 catfish master on the 7' eagle claw rod......

just my favorite because i like the rod action and the power handle on the reel...it has clickers be i rarely use it...

i have several other sets of abu's and all work fine and all are on eagle claws

4. gowens

gowens New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Abu Garcia 6600 CL on a Cat Max 7' MH.

5. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    7&7 :lol: 7' ugly stick 7000 abu biggame 30# berkley and 9/0 catmaxx j-hooks with 5oz bank sinkers

6. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    7 foot Ugly Stik and a Abu Garcia 6500...20 pound line, 40 pound leader, and a nice fat Gamakatsu hook on it!! :lol:

7. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Well for the Big Uns, My favorite set up is a Abu 7700CL Morrium on a Berkley E-cat#4 Pro select,#50 pound Big Game,7/9 Khalie Hook.Both the Morrium and the E-cat are discontuned ItemsThats sad I Guess they were just a little spendy.I Know I had to save up to buy them and I have never regretted spending the Money though!
    J.D.

8. mudkip

mudkip New Member

State:
    SC
    6500c3 and a 7 foot Ugly Stick rod from WalMart. It will land large cats and small. Very durable. Tip will bend before the load hits the butt section and fish will not feel it. Excellent for drifting and setting up. The white ones are stiffer but can see them at night better. Eyes are easily repaired. Check the rings for edges after rough use or whenever you think about it. They are easily repaired and nearly indestructable. Tiger rods are the next step up but are a bit more to carry about and cost twice as much. Same quality in a more sturdy rod.

9. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    My favorite rod-n-reel is my 4 penn 320gti spolled with 80# power pro and fitted to 6ft6in heavy action penn long beach rods. I go a little over board sometimes but I fish in alot of cover and I like to be able to winch them flatties out of the hidding space.

10. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    My rods of preference are 7 ft Ugly Stick Big Water 1120's and 7 or 8 ft Ugly Catfish rods. Both have good tip flexibility, will toss a good weight, and have backbone. For $30, its hard to beat the Ugly Catfish rods. I use a 6500C, 5600C4, two Penn 209's, a surf spinning reel, several other baitcasters, and a couple of spinners.

11. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    It depends entirely how I am fishing... at a tailrace I will prefer my Abu 7000HSBg spooled with 20 lb line (gotta give them a chance)on a 16' Shakespere pole. For boat fishing, it is the 7' Berkley Big Game with an abu 6000 some spooled with 12 lb test and some with 20 lb test. We can use 7 poles in Oklahoma, and if I were to put them out from the bank I have 2 16' poles with 7000's, 2 15' foot poles with 6500's, 2 14' poles with mixture of 6500 and 6000. Then I have 2 10' poles with 5000's, and 5 of the 7 foot poles with 6000's. None of this includes my crappie poles or my bass poles. I am tackle poor, but what the heck, I'm retired. LOL

12. Taliesin

Taliesin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    You have to keep in mind that all of my fishing is from the bank, usually at a tailrace or other river feature of some kind.

I prefer the Shimano Baitrunner spinning reels (6500 or 4500). The 6500 goes on a 12' heavy action Ugly Stik and the 4500 goes on a 15' MH Ugly Stik.

I currently have a couple more of the reels and will be putting them on some shorter rods for situations where I don't have to cast as far (including boat fishing).

13. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    2 6500's on Tournament Choice 7' MH poppin rods
    1 BPS Mega Cast on same rod
    1 shimano 100 series on 8'6" steelhead rod

i use all from bank, and top three from boat
    can not tell difference in the BPS and the Abus

14. floundahman

floundahman New Member

State:
    North Caro
    7' Cat Buster combo from Bass Pro, and the 7' Ugly Stik Catfish rod with a Penn saltwater spinning reel. The Ugly Stik has gone on sale at WalMart here every year for 19.95 sometime in the spring. I've got 2 custom made 7' med/heavy action rods from South Bend (1 piece) but I don't like them. They're sensitive, but don't have the backbone of the other 2.

15. Gomer

Gomer New Member

State:
    ladson,sc
    I go a little lite I still like the 7ft MH ugly sticks but I use abu 5000c"s with 17 and 20 lb with 30 mono for leader. I keep drags set accordingly and I have yet to have one brake me stright away, but I don't catch many over 15-20 lb.

16. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Well If a big one is going to hit then here it is. My Signature Series John Jamison bluecat #3 8' rod and my Quantum Cabo clw20 with 40 pound P-line and a 80# big game leader, 8/0 gama circle hook.

17. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    My Favor is my Abu 6000 spool with 20 lb test line mounted on a 7 foot Big Game Rod I also have a Tidewater Freeliner spinning reel spool with 20 lb test mounted on a 8 foot big game rod. I use either a slip float or three way swivel rig.

18. zivetor

zivetor New Member

State:
    Charleston, S.C.
    Wow,

Talk about knowledge overload.. I sincerely appreciate you all taking the time to share your Rod and Reel Preference with me. I just have one Question.. Where have you all been all my life?

19. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

Until I found this site I was wondering around without much direction, doing the same things day in and day out without much change. Now I have found 20 new ways to do the same thing with 200 different combos to do it on. So like you it was information over load I had to pace myself. I even started a log of ideas I wanted to try but knew I would never remember. So I take notes as I read and put the notebook in my bag for each trip and as I get a chance try new ideas out as I get the chance to.

20. catfishing is fun

catfishing is fun New Member

State:
    Missouri/Michigan
    well the two main combos i will be using are

1- 8ft uglystick bigwater with (ive never used the reel) okuma nika
    2- 8ft creekside fishing rod with abu 6500

I usualy use the top one