Rod and Reel for the Kanawha River

Discussion in 'WEST VIRGINIA RIVER TALK' started by WestVaMan, Jun 10, 2008.

1. WestVaMan

WestVaMan New Member

State:
    Okinawa Japan
    What setup do you guys use for the Kanawha River? Im looking into getting a new rig. Leaning towards the Quantum saltwater series. Just looking for some ideas.

2. bigbengal

bigbengal New Member

State:
    WV
    I have never fished the Kanawha but you can't go wrong with a baitrunner reel. When I lived in Huntington it made live bait fishing easy. I also Like the Berkly reflex rods and the ugly stick.

3. mrshadetree0222

mrshadetree0222 New Member

State:
    Buffalo, WV.
    Ill tell ya this much you stay away from them thier shakesphere, catfish combo's (as sold at walmart) I have now broken two of them this year! They are junk! broke the tips rite of the tops of two of them, while dragging in a big boy!

4. Jerry60k

Jerry60k New Member

State:
    Chelyan, West V
    I use a 9 ft castmaster with a Shakespeare Tidewater Freeliner.I also have a 24 yr old 9 ft Shakespeare rod with a 10 yr old Shakespeare Alpha reel.

5. hunterhnc20

hunterhnc20 New Member

State:
    Buffalo, West V
    I have abu garica 6600 baitcasters on 8ft safari flathead rods and okuma avenger abf 90 spinning reels on 8' beef sticks. All have trilene big game 30 lb test line on them with big game 40 lb test leaders and the rods are med heavy to heavy.

6. Katman84

Katman84 New Member

State:
    Wv
    I fish from the bank alot and may have alot of over kill. i have 10' rods and baitcasters. I can darn near spool my reels if i want to cast that far. All my reels are spooled with 30lbs Berkley Big Game and rods are Hi Tech Ole Whiskers and 1 Nite Stick. Sorry my reels range from 2 Garicas 6600's, 1 Abu 6000, 1 Quantam Iron Horse, and 2 Shakespears.

7. bobcats fan

bobcats fan New Member

State:
    jackson,ohio
    i use quantum bill dance river baitcaster & rod combo from bass Pro i have had it for 2 years and i have 2 of them they are great and reasonable on the wallet :smile2:

8. WestVaMan

WestVaMan New Member

State:
    Okinawa Japan
    I bought a Shimano Baitrunner 6500B from Bass Pro in Savannah GA on the way home from West Va. Love the reel, put it with a Offshore Angler 8ft rod M/H action. Looked at the Quantum Boca/Cabo, didnt like the back play in them at all. I gave my old stuff to my brother in law (quantum BD80 Combo)