Rod And Reel Combos

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by meat_hunter, Jun 5, 2006.

1. meat_hunter

meat_hunter New Member

State:
    Clarksville, TN
    Still New To Fishing For The Big Cats. Most Of My Fishing Has Been On Small Creeks And Reservoirs. So There For The Takle I Used Was Pretty Light. That Was Until I Began Going To Truman Dam And Fishing The Tailrace. So I Bought A 13' Meat Hunter Rod And An Abu Garcia 7000 Reel. I Am Wanting To Buy A Boat When I Get Out Of The Army And Im Sure That You Dont Need 13' Rod For That. My Brother Has A 8' Rod And An Abu Garcia 6500 Which Seems Like A Good Set Up. So I Was Wandering What Are Good Rod And Reel Combinations For Fishing From Boats. Any Information On This Would Be Appreciated Because I Would Really Like To Become A Good Catfisherman.
    Thanks
    James

2. Ghoulscout 13

Ghoulscout 13 New Member

State:
    North carolina
    I use a 6'6" medium heavy Ugly stick Cat fish rod (wal mart 30 bucks) and i have a tidewater bait caster (also wal mart a nother 30 bucks) on their and it works really well for shore fishing and from a boat. hope this helps you out

3. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    An Abu 6500 on a 7ft ugly stick catfish rod.

4. field989

field989 New Member

State:
    east central indiana
    i got a abu 6600cb and a cameron 6'6"
    and a
    cabelas king kat pro 9' with a abu 5500(i think)

i like the cameron cause it is shorter and a 1 piece, and it seems like it is a bit stiffer action which i like, but the cameron is a bit expensive cat rod, the only reason i use it is because my grandpa knew the family that owns the company so he got them at a unbelievable price

5. kenmany

kenmany New Member

State:
    NC
    I use Berkley Big Game 8' medium-heavy rod with Abu 6000 baitcaster. Also have to cheaper Shakespeare baitcasters. None have let me down but Abu is much smoother and has awesome baitclicker.

6. Taliesin

Taliesin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Before I was fishing those same tailraces I was using a 9' MH Berkley Big Game rod and Shakespeare Alpha Spinning reel.

Actually used it in those tailraces for a while, but now only when there is no water flowing.

7. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I use pflueger model 66 trion round baitcasters and 7 foot one piece challenger rods. smooth set up.

8. elalr

elalr New Member

State:
    warsaw missouri
    walmart sells a rod and reel combo called the tiger for $20 Mine has never failed me. 6or 7 foot with an open face reel. best thing i have found for the money

9. Catfish Pursuit

Catfish Pursuit New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I've been using Okuma 300L baitcaster reels and Berkley 7 foot big game rods. Get the reels for $30 on ebay and the rods are $20 at Wal-Mart. So far have had great luck with both. Chris

10. cannady4

cannady4 New Member

State:
    il
    I got a pair of abu garica 6500's one is a a quantam big cat m/h and the second is on a cat maxx from bass pro. heavy action. Personally I like the big cat a little better.

11. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    7 foot Ugly Sticks with either Penn 310/320 levelwinds or 6500's. I like to dedicate my big High Torque Penns to goin after the pigs and use the 6500's to "play with"

12. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    I use the 8 ft. 1 peice meat hunter rods with the 6500 reel works great on the boat. 777

13. RiverKing

RiverKing Active Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    I use 7000's on 7'6 heavy action ECAT rods

14. daniel472001

daniel472001 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I use Shakespeare Tiger rods MH and Penn 320 reels.

15. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I am not gonna say what is ther best but I like to use my & foot uglies with either 6000 are a 6500 and 7 foot uglies with diawa 5050 sealine spinning reels. These are both good setups and I enjoy using either are all of them at a time.

16. perch

perch New Member

State:
    Moberly, Missouri
    I just bought a 8' M/H King Kat from Cabela's with an Abu Royal Express II. I think I am going to really like it. I have an Eagle Claw Cat Claw 9' with a Masters baitcaster ordered, but it has not arrived yet. There is a web site (www.catfishconnection.com) that has a really good selection of rods and reels reasonable priced.

17. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    The reel you have is plenty. I'd look into an ugly stick in the 7' to 8' Range they serve me well.

18. janton311

janton311 New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    I just bought 2 tidewater reels, with 7.5 ft. ugly stick rods. They seem to work good and they're cheap..:smile2:

19. Mocathunter

Mocathunter New Member

State:
    St. Joseph, Missouri
    I use and prefer the big cat rods I have, I use abu garcia and penn reels. Fished them everywhere from here to the red river and have had great longevity out of all of them.

20. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    Bass Pro sells a rod and reel combo, called CatMaxx...its great value and great gear. I have several and never had a problem. They run about 80 bucks and it's well worth the money.