Rod and Reel? Anyone catch shad on fishing rods?

Discussion in 'Shad Talk' started by etipriga, Feb 9, 2006.

1. etipriga

etipriga New Member

State:
    TX
    Just wnderin if anyone has ever caught shad on rod and reel(other than snagging)

But if you have snagged them, whats the best way to go about doin that?

2. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    Ivy Bend on LOZ, Missouri
    The only effective way I know to get shad is with a cast net.:)

3. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    Ivy Bend on LOZ, Missouri
    P.S. I just noticed your a new member so I would like to welcome you to BOC, the best outdoors site on the net. Lots of people here always willing to help so don't be shy about asking anything, again welcome.:)

4. etipriga

etipriga New Member

State:
    TX
    i know that way before i even thought about signing up i would always come to this website for tips, so its helped out alot already!

5. bigsammy

bigsammy New Member

State:
    Poteau ok
    Etipriga,welcome bro!I use a cast net.I never caught one on rod and reel,sorry I cant be more help to ya.

6. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I havre snagged them with small jigs when they are up tight aginst rock walls, it works pretty well.

7. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    i can't seem to snag very many at all, catching them on hook and line is near impossible because well they are plankton feeders atleast gizzard and threadfins are... the american and hickory's aren't and are commonly caught on, may sound obvious, Shad darts... but those are catch and release only in the surrounding states for me so they can't be used as bait :-(

for snagging them i use a 1 oz weight and attach 1 or two treble hooks above it and cast and jerk... only other thing i've accidentally caught them on was a tube bait putzing around for smallies...

8. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Mike, welcome to the BOC. That's a good question. Shad means different things to folks, depending on where they live. Inland, I think most people deal with threadfins, and mostly use cast nets to catch them. Along the east and west coast, however, you can catch American and Hickory shad with tackle. As mentioned, the shad darts work good, and at least in my area, a 1/16 - 1/4 oz. crappie jig in chartreuse or white, curly tail works great with ultra light tackle or fly rod. Those fish are great sport on light tackle, they can run and jump like miniature tarpon sometimes. We also catch blueback herring on on sabiki rigs. The season for shad and herring is just now coming in locally.

9. SilverCross

SilverCross New Member

State:
    Fairbury, Illin
    Welcome to the BOC.

10. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Mr Phatkat, Bigboy, and I went out early yesterday to catch some american shad. We kept 7 for bait, several were 'quick releases'. It was cold and misting rain, but the conversation was great. We were fishing in the santee river below lake moultrie, using crappie jigs in 1/16 - 1/8 oz, most were caught on chartreuse or white 2" curly tails w/green, white, or red jigheads. Lots of fun on an ultralight rig.

11. kityhill

kityhill New Member

I have done some research on shad here in florida and am still confused - don't they emite phosperus(sp) that is bad for the lake(gizzard shad)??? what is the different between gizzard shad and american shad - i can tell the difference with threadfin shad they are small....
    we catch them in our casting nets and don't know which to cut up and use for bait and which are bad for the lake and which to throw back???and are they actually good for eating??? thank for always good help and advice here at BOC.
    kityhill:)

12. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
  13. aaronm283

aaronm283 New Member

State:
    missouri
    cast net would be alot more efective then trying to snag