Rocky Shore

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by wizkersNworms, Mar 2, 2007.

1. wizkersNworms

wizkersNworms New Member

State:
    Illinois
    In the past I have always received excellent help from the BOC and I hope to have the same this time.

I just moved and in my new home town there is a lake with large rocks and boulders lining most of the shore line and bottom. While the channel cats are plentiful, I find it awful difficult to land them without losing everything in the rocks. My question is, what is the best way/rig to set up in order to hook the fish and land them inspite of the rocks.

Thanks in advance.

2. D_Weezy

D_Weezy Active Member

State:
    Cadiz, Ohio
    Name:
    Dale
    A slip bobber rig would work great in this kind of environment. Set your bobber so that the bait floats just about a foot above the bottom. If you don't mind losing some sinkers, you can use a three-way rig. Make the bottom sinker line about two and a half feet long. Use line that is lighter than your main or hook line. Make your hook line about one foot long. I use this setup in the river. If the sinker snags, you only lose the sinker and not your fish.

3. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    I agree with the slip bobber technique. That is the rig I use here in the spring when the cats spawn in the rocks.

4. savage308

savage308 New Member

State:
    Victoria, Texas
    We do a lot of fishing at the Jettis leading out to the gulf of mexico. They are solid boulders and very easy to lose a lot of rigs. My favorite way to fish them are free floating a live bait with no weight. Toss him out gently and feed out line as he swims away. Floats will get the job done too.

Good luck.

5. BigCatDreaming

BigCatDreaming New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I might try a threeway rig if your having trouble with the float. In that case if you do end up losing something it should just be the sinker.

6. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    there is an old guy in this area that has an interesting technique for this. He uses a stiff rod and reel (Ugly Stik Tiger M/H action an Abu 7000) and lines with 50 pound braided. then he walks up and down the rocks (sometimes wading) with his bait reeled almost right up to rod (about 3 inches of line out). he sticks this in all the holes he feels with the rod. When a cat chomps down he sets the hook and pulls them outa the hole. Then he fights them normal. He brings in some 20 pound channels and 50 pound flatheads every year with this method so I know it works!

7. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    U can either use a slip float rig, three way rig, or drop rig.

8. F150Catfish

F150Catfish New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    I use three-way rigs, but not slip floating rig because the windy is forward to me, there's no way to use slip floating rig, I decided to use three-way rigs on the rocky, I landed 25 catfish last April. It's working for me.

9. Flintman

Flintman New Member

State:
    OKC, OKLA.
    Max, some folks fish like that in Oklahoma, they drop that bait right in the rocky holes in the rip-rap. They call it Doodle-Socking.
    I never tried it but I've seen it work.

10. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Great spot for bobber fishing. Use a heavy leader in case the cats make a dash into the rocks.

11. wizkersNworms

wizkersNworms New Member

State:
    Illinois
    As always I appreciate the great information, advice, and suggestions from the BOC. It always amazes me how much information is readily availble, and freely shared on this site. Now if the IRS would follow BOC standards!

Thanks again!