Rocky Mountain Spotted fever sucks!

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Catcaller, Apr 14, 2007.

1. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    Hey guys...just thought I'd let yall know...I contracted Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever 3 weeks ago.

Thought I had the flu for 3 days...well...the 4 th day...I felt and looked like death warmed over...so I went to the doctor.

She listened to my story...and diagnosed me with RMSF. The blood work had to be sent to the state of Kansas CDC....so we were just going on the doctors opinion.

Luckily she started me on 6 different kinds of medicine immediately.

The blood work just came in last thursday...which is why I say luckily she gave me the medicine 3 weeks ago....because a quick diagnosis is key to getting over this in a more timely manner.

It started out with fever, chills, fatigue, nausea, abdominal cramps, muscle aches, joint pain, a bad action headache... and later with tiny red dots on my legs, and a rash on the palm of my hand.

For 13 days I was either in bed...on the couch...or in the bathroom.

I think the worst part was watching the sappy daytime programming on tv when I was able to stay awake! (I slept an average of 16 hours a day)

The major symptoms have subsided...but the muscle aches, joint pains, and fatigue persist.

And according to doc...they will for awhile.

Just be sure to use an insect repellant when out and about...because I guarantee that you don't want this sickness.

I bought a 100% DEET to spray on my boots and pantlegs...and a 20% DEET spray to use sparingly on my skin.

Just don't use TOO much DEET...it can cause serious problems itself if too much is absorbed through the skin.

I describe my condition now as that I feel 100% better...but still feel like crap!!

Take the neccessary precautions brothers and sisters...RMSF, Lyme disease, and West Nile is nothing to sneeze at!!

Good luck fishing !

Brian

2. jbarnes17

jbarnes17 New Member

State:
    Commerce, Oklahoma
    Brian, thanks for the info. I'm glad you are doing better now.

3. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    An old-time method of keeping ticks away was to put pure sulfur into an old sock and then beat the sock around your ankles and lower legs.

4. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Brian, I am glad you found it in time buddy!! They say that stuff can get real serious if left un-checked. Glad you are still with us brother!!!

5. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Brian,

Glad you are on your way to recovery!

Prayers from TN,
    Cheryl

6. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Glad you got properly diagnosed in time. Hope you recover quickly. A friend of mine got this 2 years ago. It took her 6 months to get back to normal. Good thing you got on it quickly.

7. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I am happy that you got to your doctor in time and happy she made the correct diagnosis. You rest easy and give your body time to recoup! Thank you for warning us all. I hate the little buggers anyway, Don't relish em crawlin on me!:crazy:

8. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Brian, I can attest to your misery, as I had a bout with Lyme disease several years ago and like you, diagnosed it early. Hope you have a swift recovery...

Ol' Man
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    Meeting adversity well is the source of your strength.

9. Hope

Hope New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Brian,

I'm sorry to hear that you've been so ill with this! What a blessing that you saw a doc who was alert to the signs.

Thanks for the warning and we'll sure be alert around here.
    You just keep taking it easy and get better... pamper yourself and your body will get back up to speed in due time.

10. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    Glad to hear you were diagnosed correctlyl and promptly. Most doctors aren't nearly as astute.

I got lyme disease 2 years ago. I'm not a sickly person, and I couldn't figure out why I felt like total poo for about 10 days. Luckily, my step-mom's niece came down to visit and she was just getting over lyme disease. I was talking about feeling bad one day, and she started quizzing me about my symptoms. She was spot-on with what I had been complaining about to my wife for a week & a half. To make a long story short, we had all the meds necessary in the medicine cabinet in the dog kennel, so it was a quick and cheap recovery.

For those of us who spend a lot of time in the outdoors, we really need to make ourselves aware of RMSF & Lyme disease and the symptoms. Neither are worth messing with. Scarey stuff.

11. rebelzgrl76

rebelzgrl76 New Member

State:
    CO
    Brian,

That sounds like shear misery. I am glad that you are feeling so much better. I had something similar in nature about 2 weeks ago, though it wasnt diagnosed as anything like this. Though I had some of the same sympthoms. It was miserable!

Continue to take care of yourself and get to feeling better!

12. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Brian glad to here you are on the road to recovery. I want to say thanks for sharing the info on this sickness. I've never had any dealings with it and new nothing about.Wishing you the best.:lol: :big_smile:

13. Indigo Flats

Indigo Flats New Member

State:
    Lancaster,
    You had a good doctor. Most doctors wait for test results. If there is any chance you have been exposed to a tick tell the doctor you want antibiotics. Nothing to RMSF if you get antibiotics early and if you don't have it the antibiotics won't hurt you.

14. Fryedfisherman

Fryedfisherman New Member

State:
    Missouri
    It is very rough go and I compare it with kidney stones, only it felt like an alien was clawing to get out of my body! Beware, the tick are thick this time of year and RMSF is easier to get than lymes and can be fatal if not caught early. My first bought with it was a month ago and they diagnosed it as the flu. It gave me extreme headaches, extreme cramping, rash, bronchitis, aches and a high fever. The second round is when I got the diagnosis of RMSF and this time it was just as bad and I want to sleep all the time. They recommend 30 to 50% deet, light clothing and no opening in you clothing. The ticks are thicker than fleas this year because of the rain. Have a tick free day.

15. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Welcome to the BOC LeRoy! Thanks for the RMSF info, and thanks for bringing this thread back to the top. You take care of yourself and get over that nasty stuff.

I've been wondering about Brian (Catcaller) and where he's disappeared to. Just checked his profile, and he hasn't logged in since March 2nd :confused2:.

Hope he hasn't contracted some other illness.....

16. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Brian is just fine. Talked to him on the phone a couple weeks ago. His computer blew up. :angry: I miss him around here...and alot of other members too that I never see on anymore, that I didn't swap numbers with. :sad2: Several that I wonder about daily. Oh well, I guess life goes on. In this instance, I know Catcaller is alive and well, and probably hooking into some catfish. :cool2:

17. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    Yep...I'm alive. PC is terminal however...lol.

It'll be a few more weeks before I'm able to afford a new one.

In the meantime....I've been fishing a helluva lot. Got lots of great photos I've been accumulating for the past 6-8 weeks. (I'll begin posting them when I get a chance to download them somewhere.)

During that time my buddy and I caught and released over 300 spoonbill during the run. (Which is still ongoing)

I'm stocked up with enough eggs to last through the catfish spawning run...and plenty of fillets for future fish frys.

I don't care if I see another spoonie till next year...lol.

Those things are hard on tackle. I've broke 2 rods...3 reels...and went through over 1000 yards of 50 lb big game...100 8/0 treble hooks...and at least as many sinkers as well.

We've been enjoying being outdoors tho. Been backing the truck up to the river...building a big fire...cooking great food in the dutch oven and iron skillets...drinking cold beverages...catching a few fish....and watching everybody else catch theirs as well. (There was 150-200 people at the riverpark last weekend snagging...and our camp is ALWAYS the most popular one)

Kinda sucks not being able to be online when a guy wants to. I miss posting and reading yall's posts...but...the arrival of fishing season...and the influx of 3 weeks of brand new vacation days...does soften the blow substantially...lol.

I know last year at this time was when I was sick with that freakin' tick fever...this year is MUCH MUCH better...lol.

Just kinda feelin' the financial pinch at the moment...these gas prices are murderous!!

Cost me $70 to fill my truck up the other day...and I had a 1/4 tank!!!

Anyhow...I'm alive...doing well...working a little...fishing ALOT! Had a 23 day straight run going at one time...working 10 hour days...and going on an average of 4 hours of sleep a day.

Was it worth it??

Well...YA!!!

Yall take care...I'll try to check back soon...and tight lines!!

Brian

18. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Thanks for the heads up Brian. I'm sorry to hear about you gettin sick. I have never heard a first hand account of what the RMSF does to a person. I imagine Lyme disease feels pretty much the same. It sure dont sound like anything I want to mess with. Glad you are on the road to recovery. Good luck.

19. Wil

Wil New Member

State:
    Minden Nebraska
    glad to hear from ya brother. hope u get well soon

20. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Good to hear your recovering. Ticks are the main reason I don't Mushroom hunt any more. Last time no roons and 27 ticks. Enough for this ol man.