Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner

ROCKY gets the BOOT

13K views 32 replies 25 participants last post by  ryanjay11 
#1 ·
Bought a pair of Rocky boots after less than a year both soles just came apart.Dumb me bought another pair just getting comfortable and left one blew out. No warning at all no cracks splits noticed.These could ruin a hunt or really get you in trouble if you had a long hike out.Thats 3 out of 4 boots that failed.

Attachments

See less See more
#27 ·
I have a pair of 1200 gram thinsulate Rocky's that seem ok but I only wear them when I am hunting and its REALLY cold so it will be a while before they wear out. I think I wore them maybe five times last year. Bought them on sale a year ago. My biggest complaint is that they are heavy and I can barely get my foot under the gear shifter on my four wheeler. It is easier to reach down and shift by hand then to try to force my foot under the shifter. Thank goodness it's usually too warm to wear them. Had a pair of Danner's that I wore five days a week for about five years. Stopped wearing them only because the soles wore slick. My favorite hunting boot now is a pair of Danner Jackal's. Sole is soft but you can really sneak through the woods. They are not insulated but my part of the world isn't that bad in the winter compared to states that are further north.

#28 ·
I do forestry work, meaning, I stay in the woods (briar patches and vine thickets) every day, my compass always leads in the worst direction imaginable, I can't seem to train it to do otherwise........ I wear snake boots every day of my life except weekends. Some days I put up to 5 miles or more on them in terrible conditions. The rocky snake boots are the most comfortable boots I have worn, however, I go thru a pair every 5 months at least, sometimes less. I have tried a lot of different snake boots and have not had any better luck with any of them, so I just buy the most comfortable. Every single pair I have ever tried is only waterproof for about 2 weeks. Been thinking of buying some higher price boots, (the rocky boots are 155.00) but I always afraid I will just spend more money and still have to replace them in a few months anyway. Anyone ever seriously abuse snake boots like this and get more life out of them than a few months? I realize my profession is really tough on them, but I sure do wish I could find something better. Wouldn't mind paying more if I could get a couple years out of them. Guess I can't blame this on Rocky, since all the others in the same price range have not lasted any longer, some less.

#29 ·
I got disgusted with rocky boots myself....went and bought a pair of Schmidt boots from tractor supply....so far so good and going on 3 years now...I am hard on boots at work ...usually in standing water , in mud ,on concrete etc...I think Schmidt boots might be tractor supplies store brand so someone makes the boots for them but who ever does make them is doing a good job so far

#30 ·
Well guess its a good thing I read this thread because I was thinking about getting a pair in a couple of months. Now I think i might get some of them carhart boots. They look like nice study boots. I bought a pair of ( yes I know Walmart brand :( / Herman survivor boots and for being cheap they aren't too bad. I've wore them every day for six months strait and they're still holding on. The leather on the toes is a little faded and wore and the insides are wore a little too but still not a drop of water gets in them when I stick my whole foot in water. I'm kinda impressed by them. I think my next pair will be carhart boots though. But I just can't bring myself to spent $200 for the ones I want.

#32 ·
I bought a pair of Danner Boots I think 12 years ago. These boots have been through it all, Canada, Alaska,Washington,Arizona and of course Missouri and when I put them on I the morning its like getting back together with a old friend. They almost show no wear, I have tennis shoes that weigh more. I did buy these back when I was rich and famous but as I have always said, when you buy something that you have to rely on you get the best you can. In my humble opinion, my Danner boots are the best I have ever owned and I am a outdoorsman and have been for 55 years and I will own nothing but Danner if I ever need new ones.

#33 ·
I wear White's boots every day and Kenetreks for hunting. Red Wings are awesome boots too. I pretty much refuse to buy anything made in China.

Only a small percentage of Danner boots are still made in the USA. Get a pair of those and you are golden. If you don't, you'll have the same problems as the OP's Rocky's.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.