Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner

ROCKY gets the BOOT

13K views 32 replies 25 participants last post by  ryanjay11 
#1 ·
Bought a pair of Rocky boots after less than a year both soles just came apart.Dumb me bought another pair just getting comfortable and left one blew out. No warning at all no cracks splits noticed.These could ruin a hunt or really get you in trouble if you had a long hike out.Thats 3 out of 4 boots that failed.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I've seen all sorts of problems with Rocky boots in the last few years. They used to be some of the best you could get... Rocky, Wolverine, Danner were all the BIG names in quality boots. I don't even consider them anymore. I've had REALLY good success with Irish Setter boots. They're a division of Red Wing, and they are nice, nice, boots.

#3 · (Edited)
I encountered sole problems on Rockies 10 years ago.
I wasn't blowing out soles but water would get somewhere in the soles and drive you nuts with the squeaks and hissing. Brand new pair.

There are resoling companies though.
Especially if you live close to a large military base you can find an asian that resoles and usually they have a good selection of treads.

#4 ·
a buddy of mine was telling me he had problems with his rockies ever since they went over seas... i dont know if thats the cause or not, but i do know that i had a problem with the soles eating away very quickly in the one pair i have bought since he told me that and ill never buy another pair. best boats i have bought in a long time were cabelas brand and they had a Vibrum sole in them.

#5 ·
15 years ago, Rocky boots were GREAT.
American made (Nelsonville, OH), performed well, had a 1st rate return policy, etc...

Fast forward now.... very few if any are still made in Nelsonville, unless I'm mistaken. They still have the warehouse there. Every year we go to the factory and while decent deals are to be found, it seems like year after year they've gotten worse.

It's a shame...:angry:

#8 · (Edited)
American made (Nelsonville, OH), performed well, had a 1st rate return policy, etc...

Fast forward now.... very few if any are still made in Nelsonville, unless I'm mistaken. They still have the warehouse there. Every year we go to the factory and while decent deals are to be found, it seems like year after year they've gotten worse.

no there is nothing made here anymore the old factory is just an outlet store or outdoor gear store they call it most of the shoes are made in china and the dominicon republic ive had brand new shoes that i bought cause i got a discount because my sister worked there . bought several pair of wook shoes and had them in the closet for awhile got a pair out and wore them 1 day and the sole just disenagrated just crumbled took them back and they said you didnt wear then you cant store them. they were neopreme soles wouldnt make them right cause i had them for a year had a pair of corn stalkers that fell apart also but now they changed material they make there soles with we'll see how they are. and they have bought out several different shoe companies geogia ,dickies and others and they make boots for cabelas. boots should last longer than year

#9 ·
I had a pair of Timberland Pro boots where the sole came unglued. I bought one pair because they were so light with the Titanium toes (1/2 the weight of my other steel toe boots). That pair lasted a year, and became my spare pair. I bought a new pair, and didn't wear them 3 months, the sole came unglued. Wont buy them anymore I'm back to Georgia Boots. They're heavy, but they last me a year, which is all i expect out of a set of boots i wear every day at work.

#11 · (Edited)
For work I'm definately a Redwing man.
I've got the 180 dollar 1000 volt rated boot. They'll resole them for 50 bucks.
Shoelaces? Anytime I need shoelaces I stop at any Redwing store or catch the Redwing truck and snag a pair. NO CHARGE.
Redwings are American made.

Redwing has a line of safety shoes with a composite toe.
Lighteight and great wearing shoes. The sole after a year of walking on concrete at work barely shows any wear.
The brand name on these shoes is WORX (sold by Redwing exclusively).
WORX is made in China.
They aren't a 20 dollar shoe either. More like 80 bucks. I think they worth the 80 bucks.

Another shoe I wear at work is New Balance tennis shoes.
They make a safety tennis shoe with a composite toe.
No doubt they are probally made in China. They hold up really well though.

#13 ·
I got a good pair of Georgia boots I use for ice fishing and hunting for $180.
I've had them for ten years and probably only use them about ten days out of the whole year.
They're nice for ice fishing cause you can screw in studs while your ice fishing. You just can't walk across the kitchen floor with them in. LOL

Footwear Shoe

#14 ·
Yea, Quality Boots are real important to me..

I've had the BEST luck with Red Wings..Fit, durability, and comfort,, unmatched,,IMO
Redwing is the only company that I have actually had size a boot to my foot instead of trying to make my foot fit what they have.
They actually sized my foot.
I've never had nothing but great service out of Redwing. Pricey, but I don't mind paying for that kind of service.

#16 ·
I don't need a work boot for my job, but my dad was always in QC for various machine shops, so he needed good boots. For as long as I can remember (until he retired) he SWORE by Red Wing. I remember that he tried a different boot ONCE, and it was only a couple of weeks before he bought another pair of Red Wings. He said the other boots just didn't feel right. That's enough of a testimonial for me. :wink:

#17 · (Edited)
I don't like the looks of Rocky Boot soles, anyway. Even if the boot held together, the soles look thin and weak. When I was in a land surveying crew, a cheap shoe wouldn't hold up very long as rough as some of the terrain we were traversing. There was a boot store in Crossville I found some Northlake Gore-Tex boots. Bought two pair in 1994, finally wore out one pair this past spring, and the other pair is still fine shape. Of course, I took good care of them. Got a good deal on some waterproof Irish Setter Red Wings back around May. The only time I wear them is for fishing, so I'm probably set up for quite a while.

#19 · (Edited)
Yea, I've had a pair of Danner Boots for about 15 years, I use for Big Game hunting...They're great,, I really like them because, they're very sturdy and supportive, yet lightweight.. I think they're considered 9" laceups.I think I paid about $160.00 when I bought them..
The Red Wing Boots I have, they don't make any more:sad2:. But, they were a round toe, flat soled style, w/ steel toe.. 7' leather upper boot...I have used those for over 20 years, had to get them resoled a bit, but, awesome boots . Have 2 pairs of those..
I also have the ankle high smooth brown leather chukka style boots,,, and Romeo's,, the slip on casual loafer type shoe.. very lightweight, I pack those on motorcycle trips to walk around in when I'm not actually riding!!
The price becomes a non-issue when you consider the long life of quality, and the rebuidability of them!!!

#20 ·
a buddy of mine was telling me he had problems with his rockies ever since they went over seas... i dont know if thats the cause or not, but i do know that i had a problem with the soles eating away very quickly in the one pair i have bought since he told me that and ill never buy another pair. best boats i have bought in a long time were cabelas brand and they had a Vibrum sole in them.
I love Rockys, but the Vibram is the only way to go.

I wear Rockys every day of the week, and have a seperate pair for hunting. I have used the Rockys for more than 20 years and have yet to have any problems...with the Vibram sole versions. The other soles...yeah, I had a brand new pair that was completely worn out in a year of use. I usually get 5-6 years of service from my rockys.

I've noticed too: those that are not Vibram usually cost less as well. I think there is a correlation to that. You get what you pay for...even within the same brand name. It is annoying though.

#21 ·

In case you didn't know, and unless they changed thier ways(which I don't think they have), the better deals at the factory are on factory seconds.

You can find the exact same name of boot, but at a different price depending on which floor your on. Personally, I save some cash and buy the seconds, and have not been disappointed yet. And I currently don't own a pair of sneakers. All I wear, all the time, is boots....Rocky boots. I must be very lucky, and that doesn't even sound like me at all.:big_smile:

#22 ·
I got Rocky boots for hunting, I wear Redwing, or Worx for work. One thing about Redwing boots, the leather is hard. I had a pair couple years ago, within 3 weeks I could barely walk, so I gave em to a friend, he has problems too. I don't remember the model number, but them boots felt good in the store, I just couldn't wear em. I got some worx and they were a lot better, softer leather, I got other Red Wings, and insulated boots, I never had any problems with em 40 years ago. Good boots are expensive, but worth it, it sure beats feeling like someone is beating the bottom of your foot with a bat everytime ya take a step.

#23 ·
Red Wings for me. I've tried others, they aren't even close, well Danners are, but rockys and others don't cut it for me. I've had foot problems, heel spurs, flat arches, and such. and the red wings give me a lot better foot support than any of the others that I've tried. expensive, yes, but worth it to me !

#24 ·
Matterhorn is what I'm wearing now, I got a deal on 'em from a local boot store, normally $275, got 'em on clearance for $120, best boots I've ever had and I've had a LOT of different boots. Danner, Timberland and Georgia also make good boots, never owned Rocky but I've heard from several people they're junk, and I hate Wolverines, most uncomfortable boot for my feet I've ever had on. BTW, Matterhorn boots are made here in the states, and a lot of Danner's are as well, not sure about the others. I've been eyeing a pair of those Browning Kangaroo upland boots for a while now, heard from several people they are the lightest most comfortable and longest lasting boots made, a little pricey but worth it if they're that good.

#26 ·
I use to think rockys were the best for the money. Not anymore. I have a pair of rocky snake boots that are 17or 17 years old, wore em yesterday bowhunting.Dumb me left them outside on the deck last nite and they got filed up with rain. Funny thing, water leaks into them but not a drop leaded out. My dad has a pair of danners he's worn for years, think my next pair will be danner but they are proud of em.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.