Rocky Fork lake in Ohio

Discussion in 'OHIO LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Fatkat, Mar 9, 2006.

1. Fatkat

Fatkat New Member

State:
    Blanchester, Ohio
    I went to Rocky Fork Lake today, I tried frozen Skipjack, Shad, bacon and night crawlers from 6ft to 30ft deep. I got there about 4:30pm and stayed til about 8:30 til the winds got to strong, I thought with the storms coming in the cats might be biting but I was wrong. I don't think I got one bite. There was a couple of guys on the docks by the sailboat club catching some Crappies and Saugeye but nothing of any size.
    It was still great to get out there, the weather was great. It was about 65* and a bit breezy. It was good cure for cabin fever, thats for sure.:) :D :)

2. ohiocattracker

ohiocattracker New Member

State:
    Cincinnati Ohio
    Sorry Fatcat about your luck but im sure it was nice to get out.I was thinking of going this weekend sometime just to get out.

3. Fatkat

Fatkat New Member

State:
    Blanchester, Ohio
    Don't be sorry, it was a blast, fish or no fish I loved it. :)

4. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    At least you got out..I am a river fisherman, but I have fished rocky before with no results, I cant catch catfish from lakes.

5. Fatkat

Fatkat New Member

State:
    Blanchester, Ohio
    I havn't caught alot at Rocky but I did catch my PB there a 25# Flatty. I am still learning river catfishing, I havn't done much river fishing, I wanted to go to the Ohio today but I figured it was up from all the rain the last 2 days. I have to go somewhere thats easy to get to as I don't get around to good right now.

Rocky Fork is a pretty good Crappie lake and I hear that the Saugeye they been stocking the last few years are coming on good, 18 to 20 inches. I don't know much about saugeye but they say when it warms up you can catch them about 10ft deep in about 12ft of water on live minnows under a slip float if anyone is interested.

6. catmanofohio

catmanofohio New Member

State:
    Aberdeen (Southern Ohio)
    I fished the very back of Rocky last year there is a big farm where i was at and i seen some fish that looked between 25-40lbs shovels or carp only had 1 hit and snapped line almost broke pole on hook set.... we caught about 20 yellowbellies but it was fun.!!!!

7. Catbird

Catbird New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, Ohio
    There is a lot of big carp back in that area at least during the summer. I took my boat back the creek from where you were at with a trolling motor. I thought I saw a snake wriggleing aropund that was about 3-4 ft. long. After I got as close as I could, It was the back of a hugh carp sticking out of the mud.

8. catmanofohio

catmanofohio New Member

State:
    Aberdeen (Southern Ohio)
    Yeah we think it was a hugh carp that i got a hold of. it wasnt slowing down and i wasnt slowing it down lol... we seen them out around the little islands like 10 ft islands

9. tomoryears7919

tomoryears7919 New Member

State:
    Hillsboro, OHIO
    how is everybody, just became a member today and I have not had much luck fishing rocky fork. but, do any of you fish paint creek lake or go up paint creek from the lake. good fishing, I havent been out on my boat yet but am looking forward to it

10. Fatkat

Fatkat New Member

State:
    Blanchester, Ohio
    I haven't fished paint creek in a long time, we used to fish up at the top of the lake, I believe its called Rattlesnake Creek. I hooked a bigun up there about 20 years ago that snapped my pole in 3 pieces, lol.
    :0a25:
    By the way Welcome to the BOC, its a great site. :)

11. bigfish

bigfish New Member

State:
    Dunbar WV.
    welcome aboard tomoryears, this is a awesome site. hey fatkat you are the first trip of the year isnt realy about catching any fish [ although id be nice] its more about getting rid of that cabin fever.

12. tomoryears7919

tomoryears7919 New Member

State:
    Hillsboro, OHIO
    Hey Fatcat, thanks for the welcome! Yes it is rattlesnake creek at the top of the lake, myself I like to get in the water at the dock by rattlesnake and go up paint creek and fish. Maybe that fish that broke your pole in 3 pieces is still in there and I can try and catch him this year! Have a good year. And thank you also Bigfish, I am really enjoying this website.

13. Fatkat

Fatkat New Member

State:
    Blanchester, Ohio
    Where are the Shad? I been to Rocky Fork every night this week and can't find any Shad, I been to all the regular spots around the lights with my cast net and I can't find any Shad. Where the hell are they? :confused:

14. Catbird

Catbird New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, Ohio
    Day fishing for crappie. Cleaned 39 and then 4 of us gorged ourselfs...lol

Attached Files:

15. duxsrus

duxsrus New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Sweet Dale! I haven't gotten into a mess of them yet this year. Never get more than a couple at a time.

16. Top CAT

Top CAT New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Fatcat it is really hard to fish Rocky fork I myself have only cought a few small channels but I have a few friends who do very well there 20-40 lbs dont know how they do it.

17. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

State:
    Pataskala, Ohio
    Name:
    Clarence
    Nice catch Dale!! I do need to make it down to get in on that.

18. Fatkat

Fatkat New Member

State:
    Blanchester, Ohio
    Here is a couple of pics of some Channels and a 15# Flathead we caught last night at Rocky Fork last night while jugging, we were using cut Gills for bait.

Attached Files:

19. duxsrus

duxsrus New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Nice job!!! That's a nice mess of fish you got there. I still haven't had any luck anywhere yet.

20. kycatman01

kycatman01 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    nice catch! i plan to get out sometime soon also! hope to do as well as you!