Rocky Ford?

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by iFish, Mar 26, 2008.

1. iFish

iFish New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Has anyone here fished much at Rocky Ford?

2. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Never been. I plan to get out there once or twice this spring. :big_smile:

3. Katatonik

Katatonik New Member

State:
    Ogden, Kansas,
    What do ya wanna know? Not that I know much, but I've heard stuff. Haven't
    been there this season yet...

4. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    I have hit it a bunch what kind of Info are youy looking for.

5. Kansasgoose

Kansasgoose New Member

State:
    Hoyt, kansas
    I think its a hot spot for gar. when the water if going at least 3000 cfs, the flatheads will get in there an start feeding. I find that walking the dam during low flow will get you a mess of white bass. There is a deep hole on the west side, which the state sold a couple years ago:angry: Dont understand why they needed to do that. walleye and crappie are there too, but I dont fish for them. There are some shallow riffles down stream not too far, and on either side of the island. There is another good hole down stream from the ford, and "around the bend". its a little walk, but gets you away from the crowd, and is pretty good fishing. Have not fished it this year, but have had some good days in the past. if you target channels, nightcrawlers seem to be pretty good there, rubber shad bodies for the whites, and minnows will take the gar.

6. River Outlaw

River Outlaw New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas,
    you aint tellin no lies bout them gar there. i fed em up purdy good the one and only time i been there.

7. iFish

iFish New Member

State:
    Kansas
    So what do you guys catch on the fast side of the walkway? I have never tried fishing over there except one time last year when it was really low, and i caught some white bass. I usually fish the pool on the other side of the walkway, and I have been catching crappie, drum, and every now and then a catfish. And what type of bait/lure should I be using for the actual river part past the island?

8. goingfishin

goingfishin New Member

State:
    Topeka, Ka
    I talked to a guy last year that landed a 25#er, 33#er and a 48#er all in the same night. It was in Oct. when he did it. The one time I was there I was fishing for flathead and had never fished for them at all. I had one peeling line from me but I did not get the hook set in time.:eek:oooh:Dang rookies.:big_smile:

9. Kansasgoose

Kansasgoose New Member

State:
    Hoyt, kansas
    the fast part is where the flatheads are going to be. I have not been too successful with channels on that side, but i'm sure they are there too. and yes, during the low flows that where the whites will be too.

for baits for channels down stream, I would use liver or shad. guts or sides. that will help keep the drum off your line. If you really like drum, try crawdad tails! and just use one pole, you wont have time to use two. When the gar are really feeding heavy, you might want to use some steel leader, even when catfishing, just so you dont loose as much tackel. plus you will be able to see that you have a gar on. have also had luck with live minnows on channels there, but here again, watch out for the gar!

10. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    I have had the best luck about mid way on the walk way. If you can cast out far wnough there is a nice size hole that is right around 2 real big rocks that normal holds some nice flats. I have not hooked in to any big ones there just in the 5 to 10 lb. range but I have seen some bigger ones hooked into there.

Attached Files:

11. Katatonik

Katatonik New Member

State:
    Ogden, Kansas,
    The folks here have all given you good advice, I'd like to add a trick for you.
    Cast up on the concrete apron of the waterfall or alternately walk the bait
    to where you'd like it to lay. A bit dangerous but if you're careful it's doable
    during low flow. After you've got it set, jiggle the rod tip until the bait eases
    into the water. Let your rod tip drop as it falls to give it slack. They may hit
    it on the drop or wait a minute or two to look it over. Of course your best
    spot to stand is the part of the walkway closest to the low water dam or
    "waterfall". Near the bottom of the concrete drop off is a bit of a current
    break that fish can rest in. If you drop it down the concrete nearly vertical
    you might hit Mr. Whiskers on the nose. Doesn't work all the time but
    when it does it is every bit of exciting!

12. Orlando

Orlando New Member

State:
    kansas
    Wish I'd had this good info back in the early 80's when I was in college. I used to wade around RF and catch some whites on jigs and some channels later. Had a buddy that caught flats along the wall with big yellow jigs.

13. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    sounds good thank you for the info guys
    i know the gar are bad at the bridge boat ramp but the flaties are thick there

14. iFish

iFish New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Dan,
    Are you talking about the rocks with the metal bars or something sticking out? I dont really know where to catch many fish at Rocky Ford because whenever Im there I dont see anyone catch anything :confused2: