Rock's Pond Area of Santee

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by RiverratSC, Feb 5, 2006.

1. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    I spoke to the owner of Rock's Pond at the boat show and he said they have been catching so good fish in that area here lately. I'm thinking if I can get everything taken care of at home, I might go down alone for two nights to see what I can catch. I haven't decided if I want to take my boat or just fish off the pier the whole time.

I like the area around Rock's because its sheltered pretty good from the wind. I know that they caught a few flatheads last week so I would love to catch a few of them.

2. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Do you know when you might go, Thomas? You're right, though, that area is usually protected a little better from our predominant westerly winds, and I'm thinking with the water temp like it is, the cats may be up in those sloughs, and into the shallows there. 'Course, now they're predicting colder temps, so don't know what to make of anything. LOL

3. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    Not sure of a date yet because I may need to get tires on my truck before I can come down. I'm hoping for the end of Feb or first of March though. I'll let ya know when I know.

4. NCBASSIN

NCBASSIN New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Do you guys fish Rocks Pond a lot ? I went down last year for my first time and loved it there . We are goin back again in may for a week and i was hoping to try some catfishing out there this year . We did all bass fishing there last year and had a blast. Would like to meet some of you if you gonna be there the week we are as well . That will be the second week in May . Any info on where to go from Rock Pond would be helpful too . Tnx Danny

5. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Ok Rocks Pond,there are a couple of islands out in front of Rocks as you go out to the main cleared channel.They would be on your right as you head out.In the spring and in the fall the fish get right up in that shallow water you will be looking at.I fish there with floats in the spring or you can simply bottom fish because its on 3-4 ft deep.Get close to the cypress stumps but not so close that you spook the fish.Be careful because it is shallow in there with a lot of stumps.Set up and fish if you don't get bit move down the island a little ways.There is a deeper channel heading out of Rocks going to the main channel so you have to watch the depthfinder.Along the main river channel are some excellent areas to fish were the river makes big bends etc.We also like to stump jump in the spring by tying up to a stump,casting out our lines and moving if we dont get bit in about 20 mins.Look for bait.The stripers will also be coming down the river channel in the spring and you can catch them on live herring by anchoring right over the main channel where you see schools of bait.Good luck.:)

6. withone72

withone72 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Does anyone fish the hill's landing area . and what is the best way to fish this area or somewhere better. Also does anyone use junnie's cattracker dip bait.

7. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    Live herring, shad or white perch work better in the canal for flatheads and blues usually. If I'm thinking correctly Hill's is on the canal.

8. Hello to all. New member first time poster.
    Looking for any other reports around the Rocks pond/Island 16 area.
    i grew up fishing bass/bream in that area & still have weekend lakehouse
    there. I'm still new to big catfishin'. Might try my luck this weekend.
    Marion_catman

9. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Welcome, Mark. I haven't fished up in that area in some time, but I've been told that most of the fish are being caught along the flats near deep water channels, and in the flooded timber 25-30' deep. Also late on sunny days some fish are being caught in the shallows, the water being warmer.

10. thanks for the report Tommy. If the weather holds up and i can catch some good bait off the dock i'll try my luck. I'll give a report if i end up going.:)

11. Hello all, Here's my fishing report. Fished this morning thru the cold & drizzle,but did manage to catch 4 blues:) .(4#,6#,8#, &11#)
    on cut shiners drifting around island 16. I had 2 pretty big ones break 25 lb. test about halfway to boat.:crying: Time to change line i guess.

12. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Mark, that wasn't too bad. It was a really nasty morning. Mr Phatkat, Bigboy, and I went after some shad about daybreak. Cool and damp, kind of soaked right in after a bit. I'm glad you got some fish. How deep were you, and were you near the deeper water, or out on the flats near '16'?
    Sounds like you need inspect/replace/upgrade maybe on your mainline. Ain't it funny how we can say "well, it'll make one more trip, then I'm gonna replace it"? Anyway, I'm glad you did ok. It made the day more bearable, I bet.

13. Tommy , I caught the fish in about 22-24' deep on flats near old santee river bed in front of island 16. They bit the head portion of the shiners the best.
    I'm definitly changing that line asap:cool:

14. Beaufort

Beaufort Member

State:
    Rock Hill, SC
    Tommy i was wondering if you could give me any info on the water temp. of the upper lake.

15. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Beaufort, according to the link I use, it is ~49 deg right now. Of course, on sunny days, the surface temp warms up pretty fast. The lowest I've seen was about 48 deg back around christmas, then it warmed up and has dropped below 50 only in the past week or so.

Santee_catman, that's good info. Thanks. Did you happen to get a temp where you were fishing?

16. NCBASSIN

NCBASSIN New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Santee_Catman check out the Wal Mart in your area as i just got several roll of line for little or nothing on clearance . Had a large selection it on sale too i think as of sunday night it was marked down to 2 bucks a roll . Just thought id mention this since you said you were gonna get new .....Danny

17. Beaufort

Beaufort Member

State:
    Rock Hill, SC
    Thanks for the weather info. I 'm just waiting for it to warm enough to keep the fish in the shallows.

18. Thanks Danny, I'll have to check that out. I've got a few rods to do so
    a good price never hurts.
    Tommy i didn't have water temp gauge w/ me ,but i sure felt that outside temp especially the ride out. I couldn't have been more than 50deg though. Weather today sure would have for another trip .
    Mark

19. Man!! i don't know about you guys ,but i'm sitting here at work friday afternoon behind this computer and the weather is awesome and all i can think about is cranking a few fat blue cats:crying:

20. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Yeah, I've thought about it all day, too. Almost went to try them, but I just had a little too much going on. (guilty conscience? Naah, some folks say I don't even have a conscience!)