Rocks or log jams?

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by douglas_413, Mar 17, 2007.

1. douglas_413

douglas_413 New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    I have to mostly fish a large river on the rock edge side. Do you guys think It is better to fish rocks in the current or log jams on sandy flats for flat heads?

2. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I would fish the log jams for flatheads.

3. F150Catfish

F150Catfish New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    I would say both, because depend where I fishing at. well I have caught them by rocky and log jams. I have seen many jugfishing near the high buffs as rocky.

4. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I'd say the rocks when they are feeding because that's where the baitfish will hang out, and the log jams when they are resting. So, I guess both places, and everywhere in between. I'm not very good at catching flatties, so don't take it from me.

5. douglas_413

douglas_413 New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Thanks for the input guys. I think I will keep fishing the rocks at night and hit the log jams in the day.

6. gcarlin

gcarlin New Member

State:
    Richmond ,Indiana
    BOTH WILL PRODUCE FLATTIES BUT OVER ALL I'D SAY IF THERES A HOLE THATS DARK THATS WHERE YOU'LL GET LUCKY. GOOD LUCK BROTHER

7. rushing

rushing New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I would say fish the logs in the evenings and mornings but the rest of the night fish the rocks.

8. KGK20

KGK20 New Member

State:
    MISSOURI
    You deffently want to fish the log jams the fish will spawn there in the spring and they will lay there durning the day in the summer. You should fish it on a hot summer night throw right next to it when it gets dark they will sart coming out to feed.

9. douglas_413

douglas_413 New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Any of you guys catching flatties this year yet?

10. dafin

dafin New Member

State:
    Manhattan,Kan
    If you only fish rocks or logs you are missing a lot of good flathead water. Flatheads do feed on sand bars, mud flats,and back currents. They feed anywhere that hold bait fish. Some will be feeding at all times of the day or night.

11. fishinjunky

fishinjunky Member

State:
    Nebraska
    douglas, fish the rocks the fish seem to be their when their is really high water like right now. also all the sand bars are under water and so are the dykes.

12. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    I've had success fishing both features described. My largest came from an area that has a very gravel/large rock bottom. But I've had plenty of success fishing wood structure as well.

13. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    i mostly fish the arkansas riv.below the damns.these are lined with large rocks.i use enough weight to keep my bait from washing out on the bank.i let it float up along side of the rocks and wait.best bite from dark to 2 hours and then again 2 hours before till daylight.seem to be when they leave rocks to feed and come back to bed down.

14. whisker bend

whisker bend New Member

State:
    georgia
    i caughgt two flats last week. the water temp was 65 degrees but this weekend it got really cold the water temp dropped back down in the low 50s. i gonna go again this sunday but if the water temp isn t in the low to mid 60s it s pointless.

15. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    You lead me to believe you can do both, am I right?
    On my part of the river wood is king, we don't have much rock on the northern end. Farther down south they have sheer rock walls made of old canyon bedrock that has tumbled into the river. Some larger than a schoolbus. There I'd fish the rocks. If you're talking riprap skip it and go for the wood. If you're talking about a shallow run, move to a different section of the river cause big fish mostly only travel thru runs they don't reside there. If you fish there every day you might catch one but there are better places to spend your nights. Find yourself a nice slow bend with some wood or a steep rock wall.

16. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Both are credible fishing areas for flatheads; however like stated earlier, behind sand bars are good as well or anywhere away from the strong current on the main river. Current breaks is a sure shot for feeding grounds.

17. douglas_413

douglas_413 New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    The rocky side is actually riprap with a few larger rocks in places. There is also alot of pilings along the riprap but they are ussually out of the water or right at the waters edge.

18. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    A riprap bank will hold craws and small baitfish at times. So if you have limited places to fish you will eventually catch one there when he comes looking for a meal. I just find it hit or miss, its not a constant bite. I try to find where they lay up during the day and fish closer to there at night. Just have a better chance to hook one if he doesn't have to travel far to find your bait.

19. bigbadaaron

bigbadaaron Guest

i would go to rocky bottoms

20. KSflatheadKING3511

KSflatheadKING3511 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    i would definitley fish the rocks at night cause thats where the baitfish'll be, and stick to the log jams during the daytime with a slip bobber rig and some live bait- espiccially during the prespawn thru spawn season because those flattys are very protective over there nests and wont pass up an easy meal