Rockfish (snapper) Rod Advice

Discussion in 'Salt Water Fishing' started by rich-online, Jun 2, 2007.

1. rich-online

rich-online New Member

State:
    California
    Those of you fishing on a party boat should use a shorter (< 6.5") rod. I took a brand new 8' rod and found that I couldn't cast for much distance because I was force to cast vertically underhand due to crowded conditions. A shorter rod would have let me whip the lure with much more force.

-- Rich

2. redfishman

redfishman New Member

State:
    South Louisiana
    Maybe techniques are different in your area. Snapper fishing in South Louisiana is often done by "drop line" fishing using most commonly using a boat rod with a long butt handle for leverage to wrestle them off bottom structures that could range from 100-200' depths. Longer rods often affect moveabilty when a fish is being landed at the boat and a gaft is needed to bring it over the rails.
    Casting is not needed since the captain will manuever and keep the boat boat in place depending on tide-wind allowing drop lines to be placed inside or around oil platform pilons or other structures. Looking at sonar they can accurately tell what depths and what species are present. Often when a hookup is made, the fish is brought up to another species zone and it becomes a part of the food chain with only the head left and the hook still in its mouth at the surface.

3. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    You don't mention what part of California you're fishing, but when I lived in Santa Maria, even though I had my own boat, I fished by dropping straight down, catching rockfish, cabezon, & ling cod. Well, we did make a few casts to catch some blues for bait.

4. rich-online

rich-online New Member

State:
    California
    I'm doing shallow water fishing (<100'). The trick to getting the bigger fish is to cast into the current and jig back in toward the boat. Jigging straight up and down will get fish, but the bigger ones seem to like horizontal motion, also.

-- Rich

5. rich-online

rich-online New Member

State:
    California
    I generally go out of Half Moon Bay and go no further south than Pigeon Point. This time around, I managed to catch more fish than rocks:wink:.

-- Rich

6. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    saw that charter fishing on tv, looked fun. if i ever get near the ocean i will have to try it out.

7. rich-online

rich-online New Member

State:
    California
    It's fun, but it's also a bit pricey. Shallow water light tackle is the least expensive since the boat doesn't have to go as far and they can cram more people on board than they can for a trolling trip.

-- Rich