Rock River, Pec River, Shabbona, Olsen

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS RIVERS TALK' started by 40 Pound Club, Jun 22, 2006.

1. 40 Pound Club

40 Pound Club New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Just wondering if anybody fishes for monsters in any of these waters and what they use and where. I fish the creek mouth at Olsen, in front of the cabins a shabbona (11 and 13 pound channels on bluegills), north of two rivers FP on the pec, and the sportscore area on the rock (40 and 44 pound Flats on bluegills).

2. Norm

Norm New Member

State:
    Freeport, IL
    I usually fish at Rockton, when I fish on the Rock River. I have been fishing on the Pecatonica in Pecatonica (much closer to home). Not much biting this week. Where did you get the bluegill, caught or purchase? I would like to purchase some bluegill for flathead fishing. I am also looking for good bank fishing (don't have a boat). Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Does anyone else fish near Rockton/Rockford area--any good bank locations would be appreciated.

3. astutzman

astutzman New Member

State:
    Collinsville, IL

It's illegal to buy or sell wild caught fish in Illinois. The best bet is to just catch some gills yourself.

4. 40 Pound Club

40 Pound Club New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I get the bluegill from 4 lakes, you can catch a trillion of them out there. As far as buying I am pretty sure it is illegal but the concession stand at rock cut (near the boat launch) sells sunfish. I don't know how that works though. As far as bank fishing on the pec, Two Rivers Forest Preserve (sugar and pec meet) is a great place to shore fish for catfish up to about 30 lbs. On the rock, the point in front of the boat launch at sportscore is good but I am looking for some good shore spots as well.

5. Norm

Norm New Member

State:
    Freeport, IL
    Actually, its only illegal to sell any fish caught in the wild, but hatchery grown bluegills are legal. I bought a dozen last night at Hump-T-Hills Bait and Tackle in Rockton. $5.90/dozen. I had called another bait shop in Rockford, IL, but he was still trying to get bluegill from his supplier. As long as the bluegill are purchased from farm-raised sources, it is legal. I don't want to spend time catching bluegill, and I don't have a good source (lake or river) near me to catch them anyway.

6. Norm

Norm New Member

State:
    Freeport, IL
    Apparently the state DNR doesn't want the dealers selling from the wild, so diseases aren't spread from 1 body of water to another. So the dealers can only sell farm raised bluegill (assuming the same for other fish as well). However, you can catch your own bluegill in another body of water, and still use them as bait. I guess the DNR figures it would be impossible to tell if you caught them where you are fishing, bought them, or caught them on another body of water, so enforcing such a law against individuals is not done.

7. armynavy

armynavy New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I will be fishing the Rock on 7/8 going to check out shore spots if anyone would like to go along give me a call at 815-964-1127. Tight lines everyone.

8. flatheadboy2002

flatheadboy2002 New Member

State:
    Rock river illinois
    i fish the rock river everyday for flatheads and channels i have caught channels up to 15lbs and flats up to 50lbs lots of 40's 30's adn 20's if anybody wants to go let me know and we will im located in sterling and rock falls let me know and we will go catch a biggun