Rock River Catfishing - Flathead Catfish

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS RIVERS TALK' started by TNYHWK1, Mar 28, 2008.

1. TNYHWK1

TNYHWK1 Member

State:
    ROCKFORD ILLINOIS
    Hey All,
    I fish the Kish most of the time, but looking for some good spots on the Rock river for bigger, and better fish. Any one have a hole they would like to share?
    Thanks

2. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    First off welcome to the BOC greatest fishing site in the world and im sure there will be someone here that can answer your question

3. lil kat

lil kat New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Welcome to the BOC. I am from so IL so not much help for you there, but there are alot on here that may be able to help you out:big_smile:

4. rockfordflathunter

rockfordflathunter New Member

State:
    rockford,illino
    What part of the rock are you fishing? Bank or boat ? I am from rockford area and have a few.Looking forward to batteling a monster flat or 2 this year welcome to tag along!

5. TNYHWK1

TNYHWK1 Member

State:
    ROCKFORD ILLINOIS
    THANKS FOR THE INVITE! :big_smile:I HAVE A BOAT, BUT MOST OF THE TIME I BANK FISH.
    I FISH FROM SPORTSCORE DOWN TO BYRON. SOMETIMES I GO FARTHER. I ALSO LIKE TO GO TO LAKE SULE, AND BAUMAN PARK. MOST OF THE TIME YOU WILL SE ME AND MY TRUCK OFF OF BELTLINE AT THE KISH. IM LA-Z!

6. rockfordflathunter

State:
    rockford,illino
    Well last spring i managed a good number of flats when launching from sportscore. From the bank there are several places with parking nearby!Afternoons till about 1am i would goto riverside park all the way back or just go down to the bike path with some gills in june and you will get some nice ones !Several caught down there last year that were 30+!below is a cpr flat i caught near sportscoe had to go back to ramp to get camera.

Attached Files:

7. TNYHWK1

TNYHWK1 Member

State:
    ROCKFORD ILLINOIS
    NICE FISH.
    LOOKING TO GO OUT THIS WEEK FOR SOME FISHING. MIGHT START WHERE THE KISH AND ROCK MEET. LET YOU KNOW HOW IT PANS OUT.

8. FlatCatMan

FlatCatMan New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I am going to be working in Dixon on Wed and Thurs and I am thinking about bringing my poles along. I will be off work around 3 or so on Wed so I want to do a little fishing. I have been to dixon many times but never fished there. Anybody know of any spots or what to use for bait?

9. TNYHWK1

TNYHWK1 Member

State:
    ROCKFORD ILLINOIS
    SORRY I CAN NOT TELL YOU OF ANY GOOD SPOTS IN THE DIXON AREA, BUT I WOULD DO A PHONE CHECK FOR A LOCAL BAITSHOP, AND SEE WHAT THEY WOULD SAY. I HAVE SEEN A VIDEO OF A BOAT TRIP WHERE THEY CAUGHT A REAL NICE FLATTY. THEY LAUNCHED FROM A PARK IN DIXON. ALL I CAN REMEMBER FROM THE VID. IS-WEST OF THE ARCH. DOWN HILL TO GET TO THE PARK. AGAIN SORRY I AM NO HELP.

10. rockfordflathunter

State:
    rockford,illino
    I am not too familiar with dixon but i know there is some good catfishig to be had there.You might want to try and get a hold of denny halgren he is from dixon and guides there he is in the video that TNYHWK1 is refering to.

11. figure8jack

figure8jack New Member

State:
    illinois
    Hi all, first time here. As far as dixon goes you can drive north to oregon il. (not far) right below the dam on the west side is great bank fishing. Fish all night if you want. I seen a forty pounder come out of there. Good luck this summer, we mostly fish from the sportscore also.

12. monstercat420

monstercat420 New Member

State:
    illinois
    Dont forget about matt jones!! He also catches hawgs on the rock(give him a call)

13. rockfordflathunter

State:
    rockford,illino
    Yes he does but i dont know if he goes up that far? He definatly knows cats no doubt about that!

14. figure8jack

figure8jack New Member

State:
    illinois
    Any ideas when the river will be dropping? rockriver

15. TNYHWK1

TNYHWK1 Member

State:
    ROCKFORD ILLINOIS
  16. monstercat420

monstercat420 New Member

State:
    illinois
    The fox is also going down so im assuming the rock is too.

17. figure8jack

figure8jack New Member

State:
    illinois
    The rocks not dropping yet, but could be soon if the rain would stop.

18. rockfordflathunter

State:
    rockford,illino
    The Rock is forcasted to stay at about 10 feet in winnebago county for about 1 more week with the rain we are getting . When its down at 9ft we should be ready for business here!

19. rockfordflathunter

State:
    rockford,illino
    Ok i guess that changed this mourning its now forecasted to hit 12 feet

20. rockfordflathunter

State:
    rockford,illino
    Went out yesterday below blackhawk island to try for some cats.The water is moving pretty good and water temp was only 50-52 degrees. After looking for them for about a hour i found them schooled up behind an island where the current met from both sides and the bottom is hard and clean of silt. They were all very small but there were alot of them all in about a 10 x 10 area! Water needs to warm up and slow down! I have taken many channels from here around 28 inches but not today.Depth was about 7ft and they were right on the edge of the fast water.