rock river anything?

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS RIVERS TALK' started by Butchy, Aug 25, 2009.

1. Butchy

Butchy New Member

State:
    Rock Falls, IL
    is anybody catching anything on the rock in the sterling/rock falls area? i'm not even catfhing bait in my net just gar.

2. Tarner

Tarner New Member

State:
    Rock Falls, IL
    I've been having some good luck. I've been finding the shad on the down steam side of islands and in the slews. I've also been getting some nice channel cats from 2 to 10 lbs around dead falls and at the mouth of a couple of the slews between sterling and Dixon. The dead tree held up on the train bridge has been holding some cats too.

3. Tom G

Tom G New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Glad to hear you're catching something. I live on the River in Roscoe and my Buddy from Arizona has been here fishing from my dock 24/7 for three weeks and almost nothing caught. Tried four kinds of catfish bait, minnows, shrimp, worms, old olives, sheephead...I tell you, we've been getting desparate for a little action. A tolal of 4 or 5 small cat caught and we usually catch Flatheads in the 30 to 45 pound range off my dock.

4. Tarner

Tarner New Member

State:
    Rock Falls, IL
    The key is you got to be mobile, also the weather this year just wasn't in our favor. The water temps have been up and down a lot this summer and I think that has a lot to do with guys having a hard time catching any cats this season. I noticed that I've been having the best luck around sunset. I got a few nice channels cats last night and a 20 lbs. Flathead. I was only out for about an hour and only fished one spot. Everything was caught on whole live shade about 6" long. All the fish were thrown back since I don't eat fish that much and no one wants me to clean any for them. So they'll be there to catch again when they get bigger. My day of from work is monday. I'll try to be out there most of the night Sunday and through out the day monday. I'll post how it went here.