Rock Quarrey - Old quarries have some huge catfish in them

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Catmaster, Mar 5, 2006.

1. Catmaster

Catmaster New Member

State:
    SE Kansas
    I have only fished 2 or 3 of these, but when I have the fishing has just been awsome. Old quarries have some huge cats in them. I think this is because alot of times it is harder to get permision to fish these for some reason (In my neck of the woods anyhow). Also, because when many of the old quarries started to fill up the most common pioneer fish were bull head and a wide varriety of sunfish, chubs, and blue gill. So, by the time someone decided to through a catch of channel or flathead in the quarry these bull head, sunfish, chubs, and blue gill have already been thriving for years. This (thriving bait fish population) and minimal fishing presure is why I think these fish also grow exceptionaly faster. If u have an old rock quarry in your area that is rather secluded I strongly suggest u give it a try. GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!

2. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    You bring up some good points Erik. Getting to fish them is the tricky part, land owners are concerned with safety issue and insurance coverage. Old rock quarry's can be very dangerous places. If you go don't go alone!

3. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    we must hve different types of "rock quary's" in these parts because none of them have good catfishing, even when they are stocked. most are so clear you can see down 10-15 feet. the gravel quary's (or pits) in these parts are very, very infertile and have few baitfish in them. what channels i have caught out of them are very skinny and always have crayfish in their bellys. crayfish must be their prime food source.

4. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    we must have different types of "rock quary's" in these parts because none of them have good catfishing, even when they are stocked. most are so clear you can see down 10-15 feet. the gravel quary's (or pits) in these parts are very, very infertile and have few baitfish in them. what channels i have caught out of them are very skinny and always have crayfish in their bellys. crayfish must be their prime food source.

5. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    well that old gravel pit here in near me is suppose to be decent. We need to check it out this year Dink

6. onlyone

onlyone New Member

State:
    SE Kansas
    Catmaster--what quarries are you talking about? I live in SEK. I've heard there are big fish in them, but I've never fished them myself.