Rock Creek - Clinton Lake

Discussion in 'KANSAS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by mavmannate, Aug 31, 2009.

1. mavmannate

mavmannate New Member

State:
    De soto, Kansas
    Hey guys, Last night, my fiance and I went to clinton lake and launched my boat at Rock Creek boat ramp, (the worst ramp ive ever been too) :angry: and I finally got my boat motor running well enough to get arround and we went up the creek about 300 yards past the highway bridge and anchored down for a few hours, all i caught was a 13 pound drum that put up a great fight... no other bites. fish were jumping alllll over the place, and there were plentiful owls in the trees and cyotes in the distance.

Would I have been better off going further up the creek?:cool2:

2. Gamblen

Gamblen New Member

State:
    Kansas City, KS
    The wind usually blows into the Ramp. Its a rough ramp to say the lest.

3. here2learn

here2learn New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I've never put in at that ramp. If you can find the Wakarusa ramp, there are definitely fish up there. We found two 20ft holes last time we went. I think the jumping fish are White Bass. Somebody told me there were a lot of them up there. How deep was Rock Creek? What were you using for bait?

4. mavmannate

mavmannate New Member

State:
    De soto, Kansas
    We were using raw shrimp and nightcrawlers. The drum got the crawlers tho. No other bites. And yes, the road that's rocky and gravel is horrible for my boat since its aluminum to steel. No padding lol. YET! Hehe.

We anchored off next to what I belivie was the channel. It was less than 5 ft deep. But it was 10+ about 20 ft in front of us which is where our lines went too.

I don't recommend that ramp to anyone, because no park or state officials went near the ramp for the 6 hours we were there. (I could see the ramp from the spot I was in) not to mention the rediculus rock road with major potholes and jagged rocks in there. Although it mite be to keep people slow since its never monitored. Another... The ramp isn't steep enough, half my s10 blazer was submerged and the boat still wasn't floating freely.

5. tmramrod91

tmramrod91 New Member

State:
    kansas
    The road to the ramp is pretty terrible. I was fishing rock creek early this spring when I was a retard and stayed on the water too long...and a tornado was about to hit clinton. Needless to say I needed to haul out of there but didnt want to destroy my boat/trailer goin up that road :smile2:

I've fished rock creek all the way back into about 8 inches of water...there are a couple of decent snags to fish, no major holes that I could find. Lots of submerged logs right after the bridge and a few later in the channel, so just be careful going through there (just like the Wakki). Caught lots of drum and carp back in there, lots of eater channels as well if you find the right spot.

I've never had any problems with the ramp itself and I have a 17 ft tracker grizzly. I wouldnt think water levels would be that far down to make a big difference.

6. mavmannate

mavmannate New Member

State:
    De soto, Kansas
    Its just not steep enough though. I have a 14 ft vhull and a 16ft trailer. Wasn't steep enough for me. But in regards to the tornado, I wouda chained my boat to the nearest old tree and then put my 4x4 in gear and tear it up! But my boat can't handle it. I've got a s10 blazer 4x4 4.3L v6. 1988. Does great. Love my truck, dread my trailer. Just need something to put the boat on like wood covered with carpet and tracks for it. Then it wouldn't be as bad!