Rock bass

Discussion in 'Bass Fishing' started by Sam Wall, Sep 27, 2006.

1. Sam Wall

Sam Wall New Member

State:
    California
    When I was a kid my uncle would take me fishing on the calavaras river I would pull out a brown panfish that he called a rock bass, is this a crappie or has anyone heard of a rock bass???

2. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania

3. Sam Wall

Sam Wall New Member

State:
    California
    thank you, that is exactly the fish I used to catch out there I even forgot about the red eyes until you mentioned it, my only friend who fishes keeps telling me they were just crappie.

4. santeecat12

santeecat12 New Member

State:
    gastonia,nc
    ive heard of them and theres a lot on the river i fish i fish south fork river but i havnt ever caught one from there and they do look a lot like crappie

5. HRCats

HRCats New Member

State:
    Ohio
    And the flatties love em.

6. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    I catch quike a few of them. They are good bait and good to eat! In Indiana we call them google eye.
    Bill

7. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    YUP! Pennsylvania is chalk-full of em'! I catch about 20-1 when smallie fishin' LOL

8. STC T&F

STC T&F New Member

State:
    Union, MO
    When I am back East on the Niagara River we catch alot of them. The fight is great for their size and the taste is as good as crappie. Here in Missouri they are refered to as google eyes.

MJO

9. SkiMax

SkiMax Well-Known Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    I disagree. I do mind because when I hook one in a brushpile i always think I have a slab crappie on :big_smile: But they do make excellent flathead bait. I've seen times when a flathead will swim right past my bluegill and hit the rock bass I have out. Never ate them though-seem to small to mess with cleaning with the supply of 14 inch crappie around here. But heck of fighters, i wanna catch one about 3 pounds.

10. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    Yea we have them here in Ar to we call them google eyes

11. Dmitri

Dmitri New Member

State:
    Illinois
    So, Arkansas, Indiana, and Missouri all call them google eyes...but here in Illinois we call them Rock Bass? Odd.

12. IrishO'Brady

IrishO'Brady New Member

State:
    Ga
    have'em here too. great fight on a micro lite

13. ClayDog

ClayDog New Member

State:
    Maysville,Kentucky
    One of my favorite cat baits. SHHHHHHHHHHHHHh:lol:

14. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Down around here you have to be careful with the term Google Eye, because they use it in reference to the warmouth. Which is very similar in body structure to a rock bass, which I grew up with in Iowa, but is more green, and much darker colored, and get stockier but not as long as rockies do. We used to catch them in Minn. while on vacation over a pound. Rockies that is.

15. catman529

catman529 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I just caught a rock bass yesterday. Yeah, they are similar to crappies. Their diet consists of over 60% crawfish.