Rock Bass for bait

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by JMarrs328, Jan 5, 2006.

1. JMarrs328

JMarrs328 New Member

State:
    York/Harrisburg, PA
    Has anyone ever used live rock bass for flatheads? I was fishing yesterday and a caught a small rock bass on a spinner while i was waiting for one of my cat poles to move. I gave to a guy fishing a little further down from me who was fishing for flatties. Has anyone else ever tried them?

2. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i am convinced they will eat anyting that swims. only things i havent caught them on(but i tried)were saugeye and baby gar.

3. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    JMarrs328 - I've caught them on White Bass and I'm certain Rockbass would be just as effective.

4. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Rockbass are excellent flathead bait..I prefer to use them over bluegills..Rockbass and Green sunfish are my two favorite live baits.

5. JMarrs328

JMarrs328 New Member

State:
    York/Harrisburg, PA
    Thanks for the response guys :) !!! How long would you say a rockbass will stay alive. In other words, how many will i need for 4 hours of fishing?

6. osageCo_flathead

osageCo_flathead New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    A rock bass (we call them goggle eye perch here) can outlive any perch. I always bring more bait than I'll use in case they decide to hit hard. Nothing sucks more than running out of bait when they are biting. I always bring a perch pole and catch bait while I catfish.

7. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

State:
    Pataskala, Ohio
    Name:
    Clarence
    I like using rock bass for bait. They seem to be more lively then a bluegill.

8. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I've caught Flatheads on cut Rockbass too, don't forget about the head. ;)

My question though is, did he catch any Flats? It's gotta be just as cold there in PA as OH.

9. SangamonCatKiller

SangamonCatKiller New Member

State:
    central illinois
    I absolutely love rock bass for flathead bait. Here in central Ill. when we are rounding up our bluegill and shad for the night we always run into a large number of rockbass. They are of course kept in the same bucket as the bluegill. As far as which one I'd rather have on my hook? I'd take either one.

10. SangamonCatKiller

SangamonCatKiller New Member

State:
    central illinois
    BTW, the rockbass live longer than most bluegill when on the hook and they seem to have a little more swim to them. Hope that helps!

11. micus

micus New Member

State:
    Lake St. L
    Don't think you can use rock bass in MO. considered a game fish.

12. trad_archer

trad_archer New Member

State:
    Cook Springs, AL
    Its also illegal to use game fish here in Alabama. We can use bream but they have to be legally taken (no baskets) Rock bass are very good live baits though, i use them in our pond all the time.

13. rockbass

rockbass New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Hey now guys, I know I coudl handle losing some weight, but why all this talk about using me for bait? :eek: :eek: :eek:

Ok I know I am dumb.........I do also use rockbass for bait. I like them almost more than gills cuz they seem to kick more than gills of the same size. :cool:

14. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    Man I have been throwing rock bass back! :eek: Not any more! :D
    Bill

15. Shawn

Shawn New Member

State:
    Illinois
    i would think rock bass would be great. I agree on the sunfish being hardier than bluegills, and bullheads are pretty hard to kill too. Of course in IL, as long as you observe the size and creel regulations any fish caught by hook and line can be used for live bait.

shawn

16. katfish hunter

katfish hunter New Member

State:
    Jacksonville,FL.
    never tried usin rock bass, but a creek down by my house is loaded with em. I'll try em.

17. TEAM CATTER

TEAM CATTER New Member

State:
    COLUMBIA,IL
    Rockbass Are One Of My All Time Favorite Flat Bait They Will Out Live Bullheadsand Most Other Baits.i Had Them On Trottline For 12hrs Before&were Still Kicking.