Rock Bass as flathead catfish bait?

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by CatFighter, Jul 23, 2009.

1. CatFighter

CatFighter New Member

State:
    Morgantown, WV
    So, I have a place where I can catch like a TON of 5" rock bass. Anyone know if these work well for flatheads, or should I just stick with the gills?

2. jmanion8

jmanion8 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I would use a nice big rock bass over a perch ANY DAY OF THE WEEK. I know a lot of people who would agree with me. For me they stay alive longer and seem to swim harder.

3. RonSki

RonSki New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Rock bass are my favorite bait to use. They're normally active at night, so they don't just sit there like some other fish. They struggle harder than anything I've used except for bullheads, but rock bass are way more plentiful and bite readily. They are mostly a river fish too so they act normally in current. I can't find anything bad about them, they're hardy too. Once they're on the hook, they stay active. Use those suckers! Flatties love them!

4. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I would use them for sure they work great. Channels will try to eat em though.

5. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    To bad we cant use em in MO they are listed as gamefish. But I have cleaned flatheads that had rockbass and smallmouths in em:wink:

6. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Rock Bass are found in most of our creeks and streams here. They are lively, and more wild for that reason. I have always liked them along with warmouth, green sunfish, chubs, and smallmouth bass for this reason! Goodluck...rollo

7. CatHunterSteve

CatHunterSteve New Member

State:
    Snowville, Va
    Excellant flathead and channel bait!

8. lookin_4_moby

lookin_4_moby New Member

State:
    Guthrie, OK
    I'm sure that they'd be awesome if you state allows them to be used as bait. we can't use any "gamefish" as bait here in iowa so baby bass crappie and all is out of the question.

9. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    Aaron if you can get them then use them. they are my go to bait when i can get them. you won't regret useing them.

10. tcba1987

tcba1987 New Member

State:
    Dennison, Ohio
    i love them they stay alive for a long time on the hook and are very active...........i like hooking them through both lips because they stay on the hook better then bluegills !!!