Rock Bass As Bait

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by badboy19379, Aug 30, 2009.

1. badboy19379

badboy19379 New Member

State:
    Denver, Indiana
    Ok guys i been told rock bass work great for flatheads. well im wondering how good they work either froze or as cut bait. Do they work like gills if ya use just head exc? Im having a hard time getting out to catch live bait same day as i go fishing. Im tring my best to catch my 1st ever flathead of any size. any tips will be greatly appreciated

2. indycatman

indycatman New Member

State:
    Greenwood, Indi
    i use gills and warmouths for bait and i do have three big freezer bags full of both so when the bait is hard to catch they are 2nd choose

3. SWeiss

SWeiss New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    They are pretty much like gills. Use them live. You can keep a half-dozen or so alive for a while in a small aquarium with an aerator and filter. Don't forget you can still fish for bait while you're fishing for cats! That's what I do! Off of one hook and onto another! :smile2:

4. badboy19379

badboy19379 New Member

State:
    Denver, Indiana
    when you use them from freezer do you cut them or just hook them whole??

5. kyleco55

kyleco55 Well-Known Member

State:
    Central In
    just my personal preference jeremy, but any bait i use from the freezer gets cut. (bluegill, sunfish, shad, skipjack, smallmouth ( shh ), carp, ect. if it gets froze, it gets cut up

AND, If i havent said it already, WELCOME to the BOC!:wink:

Last edited: Aug 30, 2009
  6. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    they are mean little buggers and i like them alive the best. whenever a bait moves around and fights against you a lot it seems to be a great bait for flatheads. ive used them as cut bait as well, but i haven't noticed them working better than a bluegill or sunfish.

7. mte

mte New Member

State:
    Millersville, P
    I'm not an expert, but I have been using them all summer and the live ones seem to work better, at least for me.

8. indycatman

indycatman New Member

State:
    Greenwood, Indi
    azny of my froze baits get cut i use head and mid section

9. fishassasin

fishassasin New Member

State:
    Evansville, Ind
    any bait i cut i use everything except for the tail section. if i filet a skipjack i will use the bones with just a bit of meat on them. way i see it it still has scent to it.

10. badboy19379

badboy19379 New Member

State:
    Denver, Indiana
    thank you all for reply's i greatly appreciate it. more would be cool:cool2:

11. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Goggle-eye here in Mo are a very cover oriented fish in the day time. But at Night they feed just like flats. I seen this 16 years ago on the upper burbuse river as a kidd waden for frogs. I seen both flatts and rock bass in the shoals of that lil river. Lesson learned. I used that lil bit of info and set the same areas with green perch a close match, being rockbass have gamefish status in MO. And waylaid some nice flatts in the lil river where they shouldent be.Yes I think they would make great bait where leagle being they love to look for food @ night like flatts. I have even fished for rock bass @ night and caught a mix of both flats and rockbass @ the same time from some of MOs smaller unknown almost creeks instead of rivers. I have strayed from such small waters being I moved to right beside the MO river and now fish for monsters, but the small river lessons remain and still are of great benifit fishing the MO river.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2009
  12. Eich

Eich New Member

State:
    Mount Joy,
    I have tried rock bass (frozen and cut up) a few times with no success. I still believe they would work so long as they are part of the food chain in the body of water you are fishing. :wink:

Ray