Robert S. Kerr lock & Dam

Discussion in 'OKLAHOMA RIVERS TALK' started by whisker chunk, Jun 19, 2009.

1. whisker chunk

whisker chunk New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    I was just wondering if anyone knows how the cats are biting up at Kerr lock & Dam. A couple of weeks ago when i went down there they were letting out so much water it was hard to keep a bait in the water.

2. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    Welcome to the BOC
    Go to www.swt.usace.army.mil look under lake conditions and you can find out how much water they are releasing

3. Randy Jones

Randy Jones New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    I was told that the fish were biting pretty good up in the generaters when they are on . They are using floaters to catch flatheads in the holes, a buddy said he has caught a few nice ones here lately.

4. whisker chunk

whisker chunk New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    Yeah i did finally get to go up there yesterday and i seen a guy catch a nice 45 lb flat out of gate 3 on a slip-bobber rig baited with live perch. Everybody was catching fish but i was wishing i had some perch with me.

5. fishinphenom

fishinphenom New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    I've never been before.. but anybody ever seen any stripers out there? or if there even are any stripers down there?

6. Mudbug007

Mudbug007 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    There are stripers below Kerr Dam, but I've always done better below Webers Falls or below Eufaula.

Don

7. whisker chunk

whisker chunk New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    should be headed up there in the next couple of days are the flats still biting on float rigs up in the gates?

8. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    They will catch flatheads until July about the 2nd week they will begin to leave the generator holes.....I used to cork fish , throw jigs, bounce bait, bottom fish all at Kerr dam for many years with my 14ft river rods we used to have a blast!!!! Too old to stand there all day & maybe 2 lazy:wink: No it is too hot to stand on the rail..I will tell ya though we used to kick some flathead a$$ with anything live in the heat of the day.....my favorite hole is the # 2 hole for flatheads...for blues on a cork that would be #10 hole i bet they are there too...good luck guy's I am sticking to the boat:wink:

9. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    Sam! you have an air conditioned boat???:eek:oooh:
    can i come??:smile2:

10. Randy Jones

Randy Jones New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    Its just to hard on us fat boys to stand out there and catch them anymore, but like Sam said we used to catch them all summer in the heat. If you have anymore room in that ac boat I would consider going with ya'll.

11. Steven Armstrong

Steven Armstrong New Member

State:
    Sallisaw,Oklahoma
    sounds like a deal! i`ll bring sam some moon pies! i sure wish it would come a frost so i can fire up the boat !

12. Big Sam

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    I got Johnny one of them big chinese folding fans....:eek:oooh:.now if i can get him to use it about 2ft away the A/C will be secured!!:eek:oooh::wink::tounge_out: Yes Randy too fat & way too hot to stand down there...I remember i think it was around 1997, 98 or 99 when we had a massive heat wave...me & old lefty was killing them in July on our corks in the 10 hole (blues) we had 17 fish that went over 200lbs easy i still have a picture of it we still kept bigger ones then didnt know better:sad2: anyway webbersfalls set a heat-record that day of 112 actual temperature....we were trying to get our stuff back up to the truck when we suffered a mild heat-stroke it wasnt good..i will never forget it...never been back with a river rod since then....we were lucky :wink:

13. Randy Jones

Randy Jones New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    Can't say I blame you, thats about the same time or maybe even sooner than that when I quit going over there. Don't miss it a bit

14. whisker chunk

whisker chunk New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    i went up there this morning and fished with float rigs in gates 1 and 2 and tried 3 a little bit too but there really wasnt much happening in the gates but at the bottom of the rail there was some guys killing the 3 and 4 lb blues. they were catching em nearly every cast. I finally gave up on the flatheads and walked down to the bottom of the rail and on the 2nd cast sure enough i had a 15 lber on. we had to leave soon after that but though, just way too stinkin hot. The 2 other guys down there also caught a couple of nice 15 lbers. I dont know about those flatheads but those blues are down there and they are biting.

15. Big Sam

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    Just got the word from my old friend "preacher" Mike....51 blues were offically landed wednesday evening in a 3hr period:crazy: rod & reel:eek:oooh: drifting from the old bridge below the dam to the highline wires then starting over :eek:oooh: 3 people 3 rods:tounge_out: on shad....time to drift below the dams Johnny be prepaired to lose the sand-wedge golfing is fixing to end!!!:tounge_out::smile2:

16. Big Sam

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    Can't stand sitting around:tounge_out::wink: So after recieving the word of the slay me & Regan decided to investigate this report with freh skips & catalpa worms:wink: Instead of driving all the way around to kerr to put in at the barge wall we slipped behind W.D. mayo at the old ramp:wink: about a 25 minute run up to Kerr Dam:wink: we didnt start fishing till 430pm it was Hot 100* actual temp:0a5: first drift Regan busts a blue about 1 minute in the ball game .....I hooked a dandy he broke my line 65lb power pro....they were running 43000 cfs the drift was 1.76mph to 2.76 mph depending on the lane you you took.....Regan kicked my a$$ up one side & down another:eek:oooh::tounge_out: He would say let's try a catalpa worm.....& catch one:wink: i would grab a worm & he would put on a skip:smile2: & catch one!!!! i would reach for a skip & he was back on the worms.....Preacher Mike showed up in his F & F duck boat with a 25 4 stroke johnson...got about 5 shad off him i felt better:smile2: & instantly came out of my slump!!!! Busted 3 in a row....Then here comes Mike with a 15lber on his 1 st run.....We gave all our fish to Mike they were all blues...Regan got a minimum of 12 fish i bagged 4 i think...we quit at 730pm & to tell the truth we dove in the river a "few" times to cool off so we didnt really fish a long time ....the water felt good:wink:

17. whisker chunk

whisker chunk New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    My buddy told me he set out some jugs about 5 miles down the river from the bridge. They got so many bites on them that they lost a few jugs but still were able to land a ton of fish in a very short span of time. They were all blues and a couple channels.

18. bulethed

bulethed New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    I'm going tomorrow night, wanting a big flattie............blues will work if no yeller cats are biting:smile2:..........maybe i'll bump into some of you guys down there some time.

Bill.

19. bulethed

bulethed New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    Poison pits and i got into em on sat. night caught 12 or 13, here is a couple of the better ones.....and an ole goat holding em.

Attached Files:

20. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Nice fish,Bill. Johnnie looks a bit tired and peeved :wink::smile2: